Puch Polini Reed Upgrade

So I’ve been using the Boyesen reeds (love hate thing) for a few years now but they tend to break or chip away after like a year and a half. It happened again this year, probably from to much wot. I want to stick to the 15 Bing set up but are their other reeds that are an upgrade to the stock Polini or is Boyesen still the best option?

Re: Puch Polini Reed Upgrade

todd amundson /

Carbino. Mallossi reeds cut by hand work wonders.

Overpriced Parts /

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Carbino. Mallossi reeds cut by hand work wonders.

Nope stock tomos or airsal twin petal way better then any single reed you cut by hand

But I get pretty good use out of the two stage reeds they make the best power more then the other two but maybe your over tightening them, you ported the intake/got something sharp in the intake or running too high of an RPM

Kevin Bishop /

Maybe you aren’t cutting them right. Boyesen reeds sold on treats don’t last they are cheap. Just like their tubes for tires. I cut my own and they lasted over 4 years, still there too. Malossi carbon fiber sheets are the deal. You just have to round and sand your corners. A punch would be ideal but it’s hard to fab one.

if the reeds are making contact to the cylinder you need a riser plate, normally you should get at least 3-4k miles out of a set of reeds, if they are wearing out at a few hundred miles they are probably hitting the cylinder.

also the rubber coated reed plate, athena show in picture, will protect the reeds and keeping them from chipping or cracking.

the stock polini reed block is my least favorite, i got a pile of them... sometimes i'll put them in a stock tomos or pug.

IMG_20200325_214738.jpg

Yeah maybe the reeds are hitting. I get probably 1,500 miles before something happens. I’m going to get the Athena block but are the reeds that come with it good? I can make a riser from an old reed block but will the MLM one be ok too in case I’m lazy?

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> if the reeds are making contact to the cylinder you need a riser plate,

> normally you should get at least 3-4k miles out of a set of reeds, if

> they are wearing out at a few hundred miles they are probably hitting

> the cylinder.

>

> also the rubber coated reed plate, athena show in picture, will protect

> the reeds and keeping them from chipping or cracking.

>

> the stock polini reed block is my least favorite, i got a pile of

> them... sometimes i'll put them in a stock tomos or pug.

> >

yeah just buy that riser plate for sure.

i've always run those plastic malossi ones because they don't need a gasket which i think is cool, and they have always held up really well for me, that set in the photo finally started to splinter after like 4k plus miles? it was on two different builds, but both of them were pretty chill, ~50 mph builds running right around 10k max

but i grabbed the athena this time to try it and i think its a lot better, don't have too many miles on the build yet so we'll see how she holds up long term.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account