Custom tank/seat combo for my race bike

Just finished this for my mutant V1 race bike.

IMG_20200831_135606.jpg
IMG_20200831_135624.jpg
IMG_20200831_135646.jpg

Re: Custom tank/seat combo for my race bike

Hand formed sheet metal with inner tank. Holds 2/3 gallon

IMG_20200830_150210.jpg
IMG_20200830_150222.jpg
IMG_20200830_150233.jpg

That looks rad as fook!

That’s amazing. Such a simple, elegant solution to both parts.

Hope you don’t mind me “imitating” your design on future projects.

I realize, for racing, you don’t need much fuel. It would be awesome to have a huge tank that doesn’t look crazy big on a commuter.

If you made one a little taller and wider, it'd be easy to get more volume for the tank.

I made the tank a separate piece, and it's about half of the area from the front to where the seat bends. If I made it full length, it'd probably close to two gallons.

The tank part is just slightly more than tack welded inside, enough so it's not going anywhere.

The reasoning behind this was if it leaked, it can be removed and fixed, and if I crashed and destroyed the outside, I can remove the tank and reuse it.

It has two coats of caswell, though, so no leaks.

And another reason (the main reason) is mig welding thin sheet metal is a pain in the ass and ugly, even though I'm getting way better at it, so the welds dont ruin the looks of the top, because there are none.

The inner tank is ugly as fuck.

Top notch work as always sir. I hope to see this one out at some races some day.

Dave Thacker /

Beautiful. Tell me about the frame please.

It's a chromoly 24" bmx frame, stretched top tube by 6", raised downtube for the V1 motor, and gusseted all over.

Handmade chromoly fork legs, rigid, with chopper bike triple trees.

24x65mm weinmann DHL65 fat rims, front drum is a vented 7" Grimeca used on Italian 50cc race bikes, with 11g spokes.

Polini kit, polini 19 CP carb, handmade center bleed chamber.

Half bicycle, half moped, all insanely fast.

Built for racing on kart tracks. Last race it was clocked at 54mph down the 950' straight at the Grange kart track in apple valley with a 10-42 gearing. It'll go faster, but not enough track.

Arguably one of the fastest V1s on the planet.

classy, and also not obvious. cool stuff

Nice job. The seat doesn't look like an after thought skate board. That design would be awesome for an electric bike too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account