DIY pedal extender

Nicholas Scholten /

So, yeah, the Estoril is a big pipe.

Needed to rush to make pedals work. Came up with a cheap and super accessible solution I haven't seen before.

The clearances for this are going to be based on making a '78 Swinger 1 work with a side bleed Estoril. I think that means it'll work for most Maxi's and maybe the Magnums as well.

Will be open here; not sure of the longevity yet. There is a small amount of movement after 2 hard days of ripping around a kart track. Might just be loose or squished grub screws. Will update.

I got all my parts from my local Ace Hardware for about $10.

You'll need:

2, 5/8" ID shaft collars, 1/2" thick and mine have a ~1" OD.

2, 1/2" 1/4-20 grub/set screws or whatever appropriate thread fastener fits the collars you find (grade 8 or 10 if you have the option; the shaft collars are also usually hardened)

I ended up welding the collars together 90 degrees rotated for better mechanical holding. 180 off might be best.

Doing it over, I would drill the holes in the pedal shaft twice as deep as I show here and get appropriately long screws. Drilling deep and tapping the hole would be extra fancy.

And while I know it looks close, I didn't have any issue at all with the crank hitting the pipe. (edited)

20200902_005744.jpg
20200827_160442.jpg

Re: DIY pedal extender

Nicholas Scholten /

Yup. Weld it together. Clean it up. Make extra super duper sure you weld your collar to your crank arm with it pointing the right direction!

20200827_151929.jpg
20200827_151940.jpg
20200827_160429.jpg

But how do you remove your pedal shaft from the frame now? Also, how much of the shaft goes into the pedal arm still? I feel like bending the pedal arm for clearance a little bit would be more sturdy. But I'm a big fat guy so I worry about things I put my weight and force on.

Creative solution for sure tho.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Outside the box, but why not just weld a hacked pedal as the spacer? Half the welds and you can still use wedge pins.

Not a good idea. MLM had a similiar pedal extender that was held w/ a set screw and they stopped selling it because the screw wasn't beefy enough to hold it in place. They redid their design to use two cotter pins and it was far superior.

Welding part of another pedal shaft to the existing is also a good option which i've done a bunch of times.

Nicholas Scholten /

Back out the screws and it slips off like a normal pedal arm. It's not welded to the shaft itself.

The shaft still sticks into the pedal arm itself by about 1/4-3/8" so there is a little support there.

I'm 250lb myself, so I hear yah about being a heavier weight rider (esp considering the manual for this thing expects you to be a 150lb waif!)

Nicholas Scholten /

Didn't have one, wasted time procrastinating until about four days before I wanted to ride at the track. It was either convert to a noped and figure out how to start it or weld an extender. :)

I think ya done good .

Like you said , maybe do the set holes a bit deeper and maybe some blue locktite .

Thumbs up.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Nicholas Scholten Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Didn't have one, wasted time procrastinating until about four days

> before I wanted to ride at the track. It was either convert to a noped

> and figure out how to start it or weld an extender. :)

You could always just have done some threaded rod to get by, and plain bump start it.

Nicholas Scholten /

Yep I saw that design. Both of them, actually. I'd have made myself a version 2 of the extender but didn't have a way to accurately drill/mill the hole for the primary cotter offset on a tube like that.

(I think)My design is slightly improved since it doesn't rely on mechanical friction, but primarily on mechanical keying. An interference fit that would require shearing of both screws for full failure.

While MLM did have one of the set screws on the flat of the shaft and should act as a slight interference fit against rotating, they relied primarily on mechanical pressure/friction holding; there's no keying action going on and I could see the shaft starting to wiggle under the screw, wallering itself out a groove, rubbing away at the grub. No way, not for a pedal arm!

I see they also used stainless for the gen 1 which I don't feel is a good material for this since it is softer than a hardened steel and we really need a hardened metal to take the stress. Grade 8 hardware is stronger and grade 10.9 is even stronger.

I didn't have another pedal or access to one, or I would have just done exactly that what the Moped Army guide shows; chop the base off the pedal, weld it on.

I concur that my solution may not be the best for the strongest extender or the longest lived, but if you're in a tight spot and need something fast, would you rather have both pedals or just one? :)

Nicholas Scholten /

Yup I have a 5/8" steel rod I was going to cut, use the shaft collars to hold the rod centered, drill and tap screw holes on the ends so I could attach skateboard wheels as sliders, but I knew I was going to be running it a lot and bump starting something just drains your energy so fast, esp. when it's hot and you're in leathers.

Extra especially if you have to diagnose a problem like I did the first time my points wore themselves closed and I had to adjust them.

Overpriced Parts /

You went through way too much work, you didn’t have to do any of that,

A couple whacks with a big hammer with the pedal crank on garage floor would’ve cleared the pipe, some people heat and bend pedal cranks too, but the big hammer method fixes it in seconds,

The pedal crank in the picture is bent the wrong way to begin with so you could’ve fixed two birds with one stone

I’ve done it on over a dozen bikes

2EA84551-C026-49E8-A28B-32F189B343AF.jpeg

Nicholas Scholten /

@Roffman

Ah well. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, then. :)

I'd seen the suggestion to heat things up until glowing and then bash on them some but A: I don't have anything that'll get the arm that hot and B: It was an unknown quantity and I was worried about breaking the arm somehow.

I guess I'm too used to modern cast stuff where they're very strong and stiff, and it looks good to bend, until you try to re-shape them and then snap.

P.S. Oh, and not really 'too much' work at all. Took me all of maybe 30 minutes to put it together. I had fun doing it. IMO, it's always a good time when you're joining metal together! (edited)

Nicholas Scholten /

Just realized I didn't quote anyone in any of my replies so they're kind of untethered to who I'm responding to. Sorry guys.

seems legit

you should add it as another option here:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/DIY_Pedal_Extender

My Pedals are just for show. I bump start my bike. Until I can get my hands on a pull start from overseas. No big deal since my bike starts pretty easy.

What was a bitch was an engine with a wrong way facing kick start lever that you actually had to pull up on with your hand. That summabitch was rough on this old body.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> What was a bitch was an engine with a wrong way facing kick start lever

> that you actually had to pull up on with your hand. That summabitch was

> rough on this old body.

Ever think about maybe flipping that lever 180° ? ;)

> P D Wrote:

> > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > What was a bitch was an engine with a wrong way facing kick start

> lever

>

> > that you actually had to pull up on with your hand. That summabitch

> was

>

> > rough on this old body.

>

> Ever think about maybe flipping that lever 180° ? ;)

Oh brotha I tried it all. Flipping the arm doesnt work because the cutter pin puts the lever at a weird angle, also the foot piece is foldable so it folds down when flipped so you cant push down on it. I looked at getting a. On foldable one from treats but it would not clear the actual case of the engine. The only way to do it is to swap out the transmission cover with one from the spanish engines that use this style, but with the kick start facing backward already.

The engines I have originally came as electric start but would greatly limit my exhaust header size to have that installed again.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Outside the box, but why not just weld a hacked pedal as the spacer?

> Half the welds and you can still use wedge pins.

That is what I do! Works awesome. Then you can still use the crank pin instead of a set screw. I would worry about spinning the pedal arm and bustin myself up. Broke my ankle once when a crank pin broke.

I put the pedal arm in a vice,

Then heat with a torch and bend to whatever distance you want. I’ve gone 3-4 inches out before. Bend at base, then bend the threaded end to keep it parallel.

The pedals are basically foot rests so even if there’s not a huge pedal rotational swing it’s nbd.

I use jbots method too. The closed end of a large box wrench gives good leverage and you can be pretty accurate where you want your bends

Haha yeah big crescent wrench is the big bendy guyee

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account