Athena 70cc kit for E50

Any opinions on the 70cc piston port Athena kit from treats? My understanding is that Athena is good quality. For the price of only $125 I figured why not? I currently have a 70cc DMP kit on my e50 with 19mm PHBG carb and unrestricted estoril pipe. Does the Athena kit go faster than the DMP all other things being the same? Right now I can touch between 45-48mph with the DMP with 18/42 gearing with decent takeoff (due to the estoril pipe)

Re: Athena 70cc kit for E50

Mark Younggren /

I recently installed the Athena on my Newport. Case matched and had to take off a lot of metal I am surprised how big of ports it has. I have a 15 bing and Biturbo on it. I wasn't looking for anything crazy fast but it has been reliable and pushing over 45 easy when I want to. A lot of people recommend getting the lo comp head as the kit creates a lot of compression. I put that on there and did notices somewhat of a performance decrease but it will hopefully save my engine from blowing up long term.

Overpriced Parts /

The best Athena kit is the one that comes with 17mm Amal carb and filter,

Though the Jets are expensive It was like only 1-2 sizes more then stock with a circuit pipe which got me to 55mph with 16x36:gears on a e50 maxi,

it was a great kit and ran cool with points ignition and circuit pipe, people call it the mini gila

GO for the AJH 70CC kit.

Is that the one with the reeds? I likely will go for that one over the winter as treats is sold out as of right now

the athena piston port 44 mm is really really nice and easy to slap on. its basically a stock cylinder that just goes a lil' bit faster.

athena 45 pp? i've never run it but i've heard mixed things. i think athena bought out/cloned something else? not sure. i generally don't fux with PP cylinders on 'performance' oriented builds

Yikes...I had 3 with zero issues. But they have been around forever. One on my Dart and the other on my Maxi ZA50 . I just did the basic cleanup and slapped them on. 3rd one is on the shelf hahah. I have the high comp head on both. My dart has a 15bing also. It only got real hot on me once after blasting from miles wide open at the swoops rally one year. What head did you have on there before? Also have you checked your timing and serviced your point recently?

Also back to original post. Both bikes have an estoril. ZA50 has a phbg. I love the kit over the DMP and the Arisal 70cc PP. I would 100% recommend it but I have old castings....so I can’t speak for newer ones. The only down fall is the single ring. Single ring is great for blasting but I like the dual ring for longevity. My favorite 70cc kit is the treats 70cc reed kit with a 19phbg but that is just my 2cents. (edited)

So the big question is...is the Athena PP kit faster than the DMP on top end?

That part I can’t answer. Never had both on the same style build.

I tend to prefer pp over reeds. But that is just me wanting one less part to fail. Reeds just give me on more piece of a puzzle to solve. Ha!

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i generally don't

> fux with PP cylinders on 'performance' oriented builds

I hear ya and there is some wisdom behind that thinking because reed valve kits/cylinders provide a much better gas oil mix to bearings, cylinder piston etc because it gets it for a longer duration not just that little bit when the piston skirt is out of the intake like a piston port kit,

The carburetor jetting is always several sizes larger with reed valve over a pp kit given the same cc so everything more moist/lubed compared to a drier running pp kit,

With this being said two of my best to performance build were metra 80 (74cc) small port and Parma kit 80 (74cc) builds that had phbg carbs,

They were both piston port kits, they both ripped with way leaner jetting then reed kits and I never had any seizures or problems but I swapped them out for 74cc Gila reed kits and kept with gila

I agree with Ken that reed kits are better for the bearings and bottom end lubrication because of the more concentrated mix. This is one of the reasons I'm getting a reed kit over the winter for my bike. That being said the DMP setup has treated me well this summer. I have had zero issues running my current setup (nod to Ken's tuning advice) and have been treated to a nice ripping 50mph bike that has been reliable all summer with more than two thousand three hundred miles on it so far and counting

So I decided to pass on the Athena PP kit it has a small exhaust port about half the ID of the DMP exhaust port. So I'm sticking with the DMP setup I've had all summer. I love doing 2x normal moped speeds its so much fun watching that 40 mph vdo speedo needle wrap all the way around the dial to the peg at the "0" and having it LAY on there while blasting on flat roads. Doing 50 mph on a Puch Maxi moped is FUN!!!!

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> So I decided to pass on the Athena PP kit it has a small exhaust port

> about half the ID of the DMP exhaust port. So I'm sticking with the DMP

> setup I've had all summer. I love doing 2x normal moped speeds its so

> much fun watching that 40 mph vdo speedo needle wrap all the way around

> the dial to the peg at the "0" and having it LAY on there while blasting

> on flat roads. Doing 50 mph on a Puch Maxi moped is FUN!!!!

And boom! There you go your done ✅ you can always pull the cylinder you have when it gets cold and port the cylinder.

You'll probably have to replace that VDO because of your twisting the needle too far . ;)

Will burying that needle all the way around time after time really harm it? It is still spot on accurate from 0 to 50 (50 mph indicated laying...not bouncing on the peg at the "0") after running it against a police radar roadside sign...the speed indicated matches the speed sign

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> Will burying that needle all the way around time after time really harm

> it? It is still spot on accurate from 0 to 50 (50 mph indicated

> laying...not bouncing on the peg at the "0") after running it against a

> police radar roadside sign...the speed indicated matches the speed sign

That depends on how much pressure is being applied to the needle as it's being pressed against the pin .

Something has to give . Hopefully the inner speedo cable has enough spring to absorb that pressure without damage .

Being as the speedo is likely fairly new , I'd think the inner cable would go before the inner workings of the speedo . Supposedly , that's how the design works .

So , I probably 'over stated' myself by saying the speedo itself might get damaged .

I just switched the front sprocket from an 18 tooth to a 16 and kept the rear at 42 teeth to gain some more low end. Top speed is now 46 mph after the sprocket change. Might even go to a 13 or 14 tooth up front for some wheelie time

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account