NGK iridium spark plug question

Has anyone used one of these iridium spark plug ? Is it a better plug and which one can be used in a 2hp puch maxi ? Thanks

Re: NGK iridium spark plug question

Iam pretty new with puchs but i use iridium ones on peugeot for long. Great plugs with great spark:)

You have two kind of lenght, depends of head you using.

BREIX - long

BRHIX - short

My guess is that any of 6, 7, or 8 would be okay? But would also to hear someone with more experienced answer

What would be ideal for stock cylinders and what for kitted, mild, heavy?

Lot of money for no gain at all, but some folks will claim +x mph on the plug change. Same folks would probably get the same improvement if they used the right heat range plug and gapped it properly.

Given the marginal electrical systems of almost any moped / noped , any improvement should be very welcome .

It's fact that iridium plugs require less juice to function better with very low foul rate . In a moped , I'd imagine they'd last forever . So , they really end up paying for themselves .

I bought , but , have yet to install , an iridium for my Simplex 125cc 2 stroke .

I expect improvement .

Not a 2 stroke , but , they make a huge difference in starting my XT350 and provide better all around performance .

FYI ... It was NipponDenso that pioneered iridium spark plugs .

I do like their plug design . ;) (edited)

It probably doesn’t hurt anything.

It’s like using Fiji water to make kool-aid

The idea, as I understand it is this:

Weak ignition (not super high voltage) needs a small gap to reliably spark. That’s not the best for igniting fuel.

A bigger gap would make a bigger spark. That’s swell if your ignition can pump out the volts. If you upgrade your ignition power to something crazy, and blast that through a standard plug, it will burn off the electrodes faster. The iridium alloy has an extremely high melt temp and will survive in that environment.

I don’t know what a typical moped ignition coil is putting out. But, I am certain, it will not require an iridium plug.

Maybe the iridium, since it focuses the spark in a smaller area, could be gapped larger and see some gain. But that’s something you’d have to experiment with and see if it gets you somewhere.

Also, changing stuff like spark gap can increase resistance and ruin ignition parts (I’ve ruined car coils, never moped). So, depends on what you’re willing to go through to get that little gain.

PD,

Did you happen to notice if the Iridiums plugs were gapped different? Or maybe open them up some?

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> PD,

>

> Did you happen to notice if the Iridiums plugs were gapped different? Or

> maybe open them up some?

From what I've seen from the manufacturer , iridium plugs do come gaped wider .

Likely because the same amount of juice through the fine iridium electrode will jump a wider gap , burn cleaner and as a result last longer .

I haven't tried changing that gap .

I know that the big Honda bikes from the late 70s through at least the early 80s see noticeable improvements . Again , they are not 2 strokes .

Jack Rutherford /

I bought one. Mine seems to start easier.

When I had a loose connection between boot and wire, my urban would 4 stroke. I damn near replaced everything trying to correct that. Went to take the head off and discovered the loose boot. Fixed it and solved the problem. From there, I decided to switch to the iridium plug. I figured better spark, more complete combustion, more power. Is my reasoning faulty? Maybe.

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I figured

> better spark, more complete combustion, more power. Is my reasoning

> faulty? Maybe.

Logically , that reasoning is spot on correct .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account