Re: The 2nd most powerful 50cc engine. (Casting a cylinder)

This is so exciting! How long until we get to see some bench test videos or even riding?! The suspense makes my tummy tingle.

Kilian Münscher /

I am hoping to get the engine running by April

Very cool. I wish I had the drive to get into something this creative. Wish I was 15 again and knew what I know now. I guess it's cool that your parent support this. I was never allowed to have anything motorized as a kid and I think that's what I have such a drive to mess with anything that runs on gasoline and propels me. Good work man. Keep it up

Kilian Münscher /

Thanks

Kilian Münscher /

Looking really good

16086274228871763516517702228692.jpg

Yeah don't be scared to skim coat that porosity with epoxy. There is no shame in that game.

Kilian Münscher /

There where some quite big inclusions in the cylinder. I could have filled them with epoxy. But i didn't like it thats why I will build a new version of the cylinder. This time I won't cast it but maschine it out of a piece of round aluminium the fins are going to be welded on. The idea is from a dude I saw on YouTube who build a cylinder like that and that cylinder was fucking nice.

Kilian Münscher /

This is a german video.

Nice!

If you are sprint racing you might not even need cylinder fins, just a solid billet will be enough of a heat sink that the fins on the head can handle the rest

Kilian Münscher /

Interesting odea never thought of that.

But i want to race pffroad so thats why i will use fins as a race takes more than 3 minutes.

Yeah many drag race cars (usa style) have epoxy filled engine blocks with no water, the guys that do racing with lawnmower-type engines as well use finless solid iron blocks.

You might also be able to find a small foundry near you that can pour it, it's still common in USA to have small foundries although they are going away

Kilian Münscher /

Didn't know that there were dragracers with no cooling.

An yes i could get it cast, but i also do really want to eo it myselfe.

Yeah there are some really serious blocks that are just cast or billet machined completely solid, 3000 hp blown top fuel cars and stuff.

At the very least it's a good way to test stuff. Casting is enough of a challenge in itself, hard to engineer a part and cast it, it's like 4x as much work.

Hang in there. I'm retooling my project completely due to persistent flaws in over a dozen attempts.

Haha yeah, 9 years and dozens of pours and I have a handful of decent parts to show for it.

Sander Mulder /

I would use fins, or maybe a computer heatsink to screw on the side?

Old kreidler/mahle cylinders are great material to melt and cast.

The heat sink is actually a great idea, production cylinders are always thin to save metal but I wonder what a big chunky cylinder would do?

It might expand unevenly with the ports, this was a major issue designing 4t heads, but we were fighting with much smaller wall section and much higher forces. When we prototyped we would make them out of a big billet with drilled water passages and use the temp measurements to feed into the FEA for the casting design.

Kilian Münscher /

I know that mahle cylinder material is great the problem is, that even very destroyed mahle cylinderes are very overpriced in germany. By the way i am not going the route of mashining the cylinder instead of casting it.

I also received a mallossi reed today.

And I made an insta account where I should hopefully make more updates on the engine.

It is called 50cc_dev

16106387811925745876822502413524.jpg
16106388064327290501613049940531.jpg

todd amundson /

that reed cage is am6 right¿ It’s a hair narrower than the gila reeds. pretty important. there’s so much work in these builds it’s wicked

Kilian Münscher /

That is a vl6 reed I believe that's for tye am6. These are also used in some other reed simson builds.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> When we prototyped we would make them out of a

> big billet with drilled water passages and use the temp measurements to

> feed into the FEA for the casting design.

was this done to find the heat input from combustion?

Kilian Münscher /

I will use fins out of 3mm aluminium that are weleed on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account