Peugeot 103 Exhaust

I installed the MLM Peugeot 103 techno EDM circuit pipe (from Treats) on my 103 with which has a 70cc Polini cast iron kit/SHA 15:15. The performance was exactly what I had hoped for, until it cracked in two places (lasted about 200 miles). It seems well made, fit perfectly on the engine, and never had any impacts. I assume failure was due to vibration.

Not sure which direction to go next. Get somebody to weld it, or find an alternative.

IMG_4449.jpeg
IMG_4450.jpeg
IMG_4451.jpeg

Re: Peugeot 103 Exhaust

Wow that first one is a knarly crack! How long ago did you buy it? I would say it is worth trying for an exchange, due to poor manufacturing. You can see from the pipe itself that it has hardly be used and abused.

I’ve sent an email regarding warranty. Fingers crossed.

Its a moped part, and a crappy one at that, those are just Techno circuits hacked and welded for other bikes, grind off the paint, re-weld, and wait for the next break

The Independent Kingdom of Treatland has (very generously) offered a store credit for the MLM Techno EDM Circuit pipe which cracked, even though it's slightly older than covered under their standard 90 day warranty

What to replace it with? The Polini Circuit is universally panned. I very much want to preserve my ability to make right hand turns.

Has anyone tried the Peugeot 103 Doppler STREETCUP exhaust pipe? Is it sturdy? What's ground clearance like?

Thanks!

Streetcup is decent, I've had bad luck though. Performance is A+ but in 500 miles I have welded the silencer flange and the silencer itself broke apart a few days ago. No cracks in the header or chamber so I can't complain too much. Ground clearance with the included spacer is awful ~2 inches, without the spacer ~3.25 inches.

A welder seems to be a must have for most pipes.

Jack Rutherford /

I always mount the exhaust to cylinder first and then see how the rear/side mount lines up with the case mount (bolt hole on the bike). Usually they don’t align so then I change the rear/side mount on the pipe to match the bolt hole on the bike.

If you ignore the discrepancy and mount it like it comes, it will put pressure on the pipe and the pipe will break.

Me too.

The MLM pipe fit perfectly with the Polini kit and stock exhaust mounts. I was actually surprised and impressed at how well it lined up with no modifications/adjustments needed. The cracks weren't caused by the pipe being under mechanical stress from the mounts. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

You could make a semi-decent repair on that, but the big issue I see with pipe repairs, is that you need to reinforce every weld you make. I typically repair a lot of vibration snapped rear mounts, and each one gets rewelded with additional bracing made of 3/16" steel rod.

Glad Treats is taking care of you, but this problem is inherit with French bikes, especially with the cheaper circuit exhausts.

exact same breaks happened to mine also (also got the chamber rubbing on the belt at full variation)...

treats did me up proper and i opted for the MLM sidebleed...

https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-peugeot-103-people-s-sidebleed-pipe-p/mlm-peoples-pipe-564.htm

so far I'm happy BUT I did have to install the pedal extender for clearance...

https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-peugeot-103-people-s-sidebleed-pipe-p/mlm-peoples-pipe-564.htm

i think the pugs just shake a sh*t load so that is the problem...I've tried roughly 5 pipes so far so good with this MLM peoples pipe

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You could make a semi-decent repair on that, but the big issue I see

> with pipe repairs, is that you need to reinforce every weld you make. I

> typically repair a lot of vibration snapped rear mounts, and each one

> gets rewelded with additional bracing made of 3/16" steel rod.

I bought a small welder today ;)

> matt madden Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> exact same breaks happened to mine also (also got the chamber rubbing on

> the belt at full variation)...

>

> treats did me up proper and i opted for the MLM sidebleed...

>

> https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-peugeot-103-people-s-sidebleed-pipe-p/mlm-peoples-pipe-564.htm

>

> so far I'm happy BUT I did have to install the pedal extender for

> clearance...

>

> https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-peugeot-103-people-s-sidebleed-pipe-p/mlm-peoples-pipe-564.htm

>

> i think the pugs just shake a sh*t load so that is the problem...I've

> tried roughly 5 pipes so far so good with this MLM peoples pipe

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I already have the pedal extension.

Does the rear mount attach to the engine case?

How's the ground clearance?

Could I use the Polini spring with the MLM sidebleed?

rear mount has a big heavy plate that mounts to the existing exhaust mount...then you mount the pipe to that...it's very beefy...no ground clearance issues at all.

Not sure about the polini spring...i have the polini exhaust mount that I've used for other pipes (the rubber bushing one) and the plate used for the peoples would be replacing that i think.

i'm really impressed with the peoples tho...it's a bit weird looking but performance is good and when it hits it def has some pull...

Thanks for the info Matt. I'll probably give the People's side bleed a shot.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account