Hi flow air filter questions

I recently tried putting one of these high flow air filters on my bike. It has the Sha14.12, and everything else on the bike is stock. I put the air filter on in place of the air box and removed the stock mesh air filter. I tried running the bike with jet sizes 56, 52, 50, and even the 47 the was in the carb originally. Each time, the bike would start and run ok with the choke, but when I open the throttle it dies.

Any idea what the issue here is? Am I supposed to leave the mesh air filter under this high flow cap?

IMG_20200914_193033.jpg

Re: Hi flow air filter questions

Overpriced Parts /

If stock exhaust it’s best to leave the stock airbox but I like the black cap and screen filter better than that hi flow filter You can’t just jump around/big gaps In jet range, you got to do one size at a time,

With the black cap and screen filter and a mild performance pipe I’m usually at 61-62 jet in 12.14 sha carb

Which black cap are you referring to? On my stock SHA (Garelli), it has the airbox then the mesh filter screen after that inserted into the carb.

Overpriced Parts /

This one that has the air inlet underneath which seems to be the perfect flow for good low end idle and good top end

712037C9-DD76-4CCA-8260-15E712F857A1.jpeg

But I thought you had a Tomos so The jetting numbers I gave you may not be the same

Dirty30 Dillon /

I definitely prefer the stock airbox on Garellis.

As for your jetting, it should have run on any of those numbers, but the choke test basically tells you that you have an airleak/fuel blockage. Somewhere in the process of changing over the jets or filter, either the carb clamp/shim is damaged or not seated, or a carb jet/passage is clogged.

You are not supposed to run the biscuit filter inside the mesh filter, but I guess you could but you're basically back where you started, except it's noisier.

Ok that is good to know. I didn't think the flat mesh filter was supposed to go underneath the new one.

Once I out the stock jet and filter/airbox back on, it ran fine again. I did find that I have an air leak where the float bowl meets the carb body, however I have checked all the other spots and it is sealed. Wouldn't it still run with an air leak just idle higher?

The other thing is I have another 14.12, and was thinking about drilling a few more holes in the air box for higher flow. Has anyone done this with success?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Micah Farenik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I did find that I have an air leak where the float bowl meets the carb

> body, however I have checked all the other spots and it is sealed.

> Wouldn't it still run with an air leak just idle higher?

The bowl seal is not a vapor seal, the only way that could leak air into the mix is if the bowl was empty, which would in itself be an airleak.

My guess is that when spraying that area you got atomized carb clean sucked into the carb.

If you add more air , you have to add more fuel .

And , that's only good to a certain point .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account