79 Magnum XK, Round intake port?

Howdy,

I recently picked up my dream bike, a 79 Magnum Xk with around 400 miles on it. Originally a PrettyBombers build I believe!

I'm gonna keep it pretty stock, but I wanted to put on a 15 bing to get a little more power out of it here at altitude (CO) - when I went to take the carb off I noticed it wasn't the stock carb, its a 1/14/157 with a round intake, and the cylinder seems to have been modded to also have a round port? (pictures attached) Any ideas what the deal is here? I assume I cant just put a rectangular 15bing intake one it... The bike has great low end but tops out around 27 and i'd like to get it to 30-35. Any suggestions on mods that will keep it fairly stock but help me with top end a bit?

Cheers!

IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg

Re: 79 Magnum XK, Round intake port?

Overpriced Parts /

Stock Magnum cylinders and maxi hi torque cylinders all have round port,

Use a stock puch round port 14mm intake

Nice! Good to know. It does have a 14mm intake. Any recs then for a little more tope end?

My experience with round port motors is bad, no matter what I did the manifold would not seal and it would bend even with light torque it would still bend (really cheap metal) so I dumped it for a square port.

Overpriced Parts /

> Ben S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice! Good to know. It does have a 14mm intake. Any recs then for a

> little more tope end?

I made many posts about metal mesh 1/4-5/16 in hole in magnum chamber and end cap

9407B04A-DB8E-4C4B-9BF7-BE9F8D5C4983.jpeg
61E9E4F9-C604-434B-9A99-64026DE26E89.jpeg

Time around 18° Btdc Then Jet around 68-70 jet with 222 atomizer then tune the clutch with thick clutch springs and you will get this:

I also sand or mill puch heads flat and sometimes add a squish band, but on a piston that little it seems to make very little difference, Just flat works fine for more compression and power

FA0F5D52-41D4-49B0-B0C9-5057EDE6ADE1.jpeg

up shits creek /

dope fairing!

Bad Cadillac™ /

My round port Magnum with a 14mm Bing runs just fine. No leaks!

And follow Kens advice for more power and speed. (edited)

Michael Hartgers /

Nice!

i have the replacement clutch handle for it if you want it. OG buyer never came to get it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account