Questions about TCCD puch 70cc kit

Since it looks like the e50 in my magnum needs a bottom end, I figured I might add a kit at the same time. Never done a kit before, so i figured I start with the TCCD 70cc kit...nice price and should be easy to tune on. Looking for high 40's if possible, street cruiser ride but I don't live in the city. lots of 35-45mph roads and hills.

Those of you with experience with this one... questions:

1. Carb - I was thinking either bing 15mm or the PHBG (19mm maybe)? Seems like the PHBG has more potential. Thoughts?

2. Intake - need a recommendation based on the carb. I do have the side covers for the magnum and I'm not 100% attached to running them "as is".

3. Head - I see Treats has custom heads (low-compression) that they say go great with this kit, but they do add to the price. Any experience or should I try my old e50 head (stock maxi style) that's on it?

I see that this particular kit needs spacing unless you get the low comp head or run the spacer, so I'll have to get the right setup.

4. Exhaust - I've got a tecno boss at the moment to start with. Would love an estoril but they seem to be out of stock. Any other recommendations?

Any other tips on this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Questions about TCCD puch 70cc kit

1. 14MM

2. 14MM

3. I see Treats has custom heads (low-compression) that they say go great with this kit. It's worth it.

4.The other circuit pipe.

Don't forget clutch shimming, timing, PRESSURE TESTING, port chamfering, squish measuring, port clearance, ring gapping, torqueing properly.

It's a steep curve and I want you to succeed. Also get the thicker easier to install type circlips.

Wesley Ambrosini /

The kit is cool for the price. That kit is tuned for high rpm so go for the low comp head. Put the spacer between 2 gaskets make sure when the head is tightened down the top of the list on goes at least to the bottom of the exhaust port. 15mm bing and #1 grandpa intake is great. I ran that setup and kit on an e50 with a tecno circuit and 2 Za50s with a conti and biturbo.

Tune your clutch and rip

Thanks! I've got the original two shoe clutch and was thinking of getting the black kick start springs with this order. Any reason I need to hunt up a three shoe?

@Roff junior - it'll be the first time I shim the clutch (new bottom end coming), do you suggest i buy the "assortment" of shims from the guy that has them in buy / sell? May cut down on the wait time if I have to get a specific combo...

I've got the timing gauge / buzzetti so I'll be reading all about how to use that.

As far as "squish" goes... Just to clarify, is that the overall shape of the combustion chamber at TDC or the volume? I'm used to automotive engines where they talk about the compression ratio of the engine and cyl head volume, etc.

Since this piston is domed (and the head too), I'm assuming it's the area of the combustion chamber at TDC which can be affected by gasket / spacer stacking and head shape, right?

For chamfering the ports, based on what I understand, I've got to knock the edge off of the sharp edge to keep it from snagging the ring. I'm assuming I can use a fine file to do that, right?

Another question... seems like all I'm finding is stuffed cranks (looking at the dmp) at the moment. Since this is a 70cc kit, I'm thinking that should work as it may help even out the amount of displacement the bigger cyl / piston will be adding. I know stuffed vs unstuffed is a bit of a contentious subject sometimes. (edited)

Go with the phbg, you can use the little cast short intake for a nice clean mount or spigot mount. The estoril will be a lot better than the boss but you can use the boss for now to get a hang of tuning it.

do you suggest i buy the "assortment" of shims from the guy that has them in buy / sell? - Yes

Squish = distance from piston and the part of the head known as the "squish band"

can be affected by gasket / spacer stacking and head shape, right? - Yes

For chamfering the ports, based on what I understand, I've got to knock the edge off of the sharp edge to keep it from snagging the ring. I'm assuming I can use a fine file to do that, right? - That will work, just be careful not to nick the bore.

I know stuffed vs unstuffed is a bit of a contentious subject sometimes. That it is, that it is. . .

Looks like you're doing your homework, so it should be ok.

Also get a temp gauge it's worth the money.

My bottom end rebuild did not require any re-shimming, but check when you put things back together.

Those are great kits and require little to get them going.

I have this setup on my magnum. With that TCCD kit.

Low comp custom head

MLM intake

Mikuni Vm18

MLM peoples pipe

2 shoe with stiff springs

I have GPS'd at 47 with 17x36 gearing.

Have fun it is a simple kit to get going, just get a temp gauge to make sure you dont seize up.

Mark Younggren /

What is the sweet spot temp wise? low 300's?

Overpriced Parts /

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What is the sweet spot temp wise? low 300's?

Don’t have to be low 300s, it could be higher but you need sustaining temperatures not ones that keep climbing,

I got some bikes that run 360-375° and some that run 330° on miles long straightaways but even at low head temps you could still seize if you’re not jetted correctly/air leak/not broken in

My temps are 330 - 350 on long runs. It take a while to get my bike up over 300 and stay. I have timing set at 17deg btdc.

I'm still tuning things but blew my temp gauge batt so I havent been pushing it. We are also about to move so I have been busy with that. But I am pretty confident in the build and satisfied with my speed and take off that it is good as is for now.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account