Re: Solo Fuckery

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

What's the OD/ID of that flywheel cover? I got an NOS flywheel cover that looks identical as a freebie in a treats order not long ago, do you want it? Free + shipping

How deep is it?

Each side is different.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How deep is it?

>

> Each side is different.

Hmm, gotta measure when I get home

Added a Goped modded pipe I did years ago for moby. It’s decent but not as good as a really big moped pipe so it’ll work until I score a decent big belly pipe to swing with a ball joint.

Used a boss pipe I cut the silencer off of, and welded it to Goped pipe.

Now I gotta add the fender and taillight and plate and start tuning.

6C1D92E7-FE39-49F2-B9C8-08FC41E543E8.jpeg
B815A64A-8FC3-45D0-90C3-AEF4D2F9C7CD.jpeg

Btw, I have to say.

Not having the variation lock on this bike is fucking annoying. Swinging engine bikes are the best with a way to lock variation. I have to do this soon.

83F0936E-1055-4458-9AFF-63063818CB97.jpeg

Had to do the hill of shame today. Fouled the plug after a very hilly ride right at the bottom of my hill. But like every dedicated mopedder, I pushed that bike up Fucker Mountain and accept that this is the way of the moped.

Usually I stay at a higher elevation so if problems arise I can coast all the way home. But today I tried climbing my biggest hill and it did pretty good but then did the foul after a beautiful trip down Potrero road hill...I’m switching to cdi tomorrow cuz I notice occasional spark dropouts and why bother troubleshooting spark issues when fuck points man. Also gonna drop gearing to 11/52 (with 16in 2.5 tire) from 12/52. Pulls the 12 but I’d prefer better uphill from a start.

I also have to fuck around with the rear wheel. Looks like it’s walking over towards the freewheel. Must be the bearings shifting somehow. I cut the inner pipe perfect but I bet I’ll have to do some extra pipe spacers for the OD, as the hub is a long bored hole with no lip on the drive side.... and some bearing locTTF haha

Overall so far it’s very funny, sounds very gopedish. A worthwhile bike for sure.

9896D464-2163-4A8E-91C3-593AA78E9342.jpeg

I spent all day yesterday adding a pawl to a weird cdi flywheel I got from Jackers and timing this setup. Flipped coils and moved the trigger to the opposite mount, had to tap the hole with m4.

I used a cdi setup that had no trigger (a 2 wire setup) but I just switched the coils to a treats cdi stator plate and used a normal trigger. Also used the stock points ht coil and the spark is bright blue and snappy af.

Almost was able to use the woodruff key (was a goal) but couldn’t. Had to free time the setup with the woodruff flywheel slot at about 10 o’clock with the crank at 12 o’clock. Then I increased the slot length so once I get the rough position locked in, I could actually get some good stator swivel. Got it timed to 23 deg with a 5 deg curve down to 18deg. Should be ripping!

Bashed my hand while fooling with getting it timed from backwards pedal spinnin haha lol

510ADAF3-D333-4316-BC16-2B37C09E578A.jpeg
03B2B709-27F0-4799-9C7F-D36F6D705414.jpeg

(edited)

FINALLY got to ride it with decent advance base idle timing and it’s super sweet. Low and slow and steady idle. Starts first pull. It’s feeling like a champion now. I love when I’ve spent weeks working on something and waiting for the payoff and finally get it. Only prob is the shift which is slow to start then kinda shifts all the way really fast. Maybe a stronger spring will do it, or I have to change the ramp angle, don’t know yet.

Now to get 12v bulbs and start doing longer rides

Jeremy Homser /

Im so glad your digging this bike! Next weird bike i find you will get first dibs

Unusual launch lever lock I like to make on every French bike and some hobbits. The aluminum bar serves 2 purposes, transfer shift control from launch lever pedal to engine swing, and also allowing a brake caliper to lock the variation in place for revvin out fucking hard. Oh and the caliper is floating on a pivot on the frame so it travels with the bar (eccentric travel on it) Paunch lever locks 2021

0473DC1D-D9C9-4F68-BB0E-065B6EE3860B.jpeg
A2F712A6-37BA-4DF6-B604-81A5722CBA1F.jpeg
D1172A83-9B6E-41E6-B534-72924027BBAE.jpeg

Cleanest build yet. It looks like a fun bike

Clean no, but it’s Fun yes.

Have to advance the timing a bit and I really need to port some more, there’s not quite enough mix getting up to the plug.

But it’s finally running reliable and I’m excited to learn its quirks

The single rail shift control is kinda brutalist but it’s neat to watch work. Have to change the pivot plate for the caliper to plate steel as the aluminum plate I used wants to flex a bit too much

It's like a parallelogram, close but you have to match the angles for it to work perfectly

Inkedsolo_LI.jpg

Lets say its parallelogramish

Today I lightened the rollers from 20gr to 15gr and adjusted the clutch spring preload plate to engage higher. I like this bike. It’s really interesting. That goped pipe hits really fucking high, like 10-11k. I’m getting there by using my variation lock. It’s a great way to tell exactly where the power hits.

Runs really smooth at those high rpms. But it still has decent power down low, I’m so excited because I really wanted to try a bike like this, very low blowdown engine with a high rpm pipe. It’s just what I thought it would be like, a nice wide powerband with a noticeable hit up top. I’m considering dropping gearing a bit to take advantage of these rpms. I’m at 11/52, with 16in 2.5 tires. 11/60 maybe? Idk

Eventually I’ll have to add a decent sized reed as that’s the only real restriction now (13.5mm max opening in the reed block with a 16mm carb) and will probably add more transfers next time I’m in the jug.

But I’m pretty happy with it now.. it climbs 90% of my hills, and will only get better as I fuck with it more.

Cylinder head Temps are staying under 400, got to like 330 max so far I think. What’s funny about the water in the cylinder is that holds temp for a much longer period. It resists change. I wonder if that’s part of why the sealed water jacket works. I would love to have a pressure sensor threaded in to test pressure inside.

I’ll go on a ride and 10min later the cyl is still hot, where a normal air cooled bike would be ambient temp.

I would be running a looonngg pipe, well not too long, but like a 6p or something.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> - What’s funny about the water in the cylinder is that holds temp

> for a much longer period. It resists change. I wonder if that’s part

> of why the sealed water jacket works. I would love to have a pressure

> sensor threaded in to test pressure inside.

>

> I’ll go on a ride and 10min later the cyl is still hot, where a normal

> l air cooled bike would be ambient temp.

That's cool, that's kinda what my theory was on why they did it, it's just so dumb and impractical on an engine making 1.5 hp, but you're probably pushing this harder than anyone ever has... I mean it's really wild, who knows what's been lost to the sands of time but I can't imagine anyone back in the day combining this level of performance... This very well may be the highest output stock solo engine that's ever been made... Wild. Stepping somewhere nobody has ever been.

If you want to know the pressure you can just look it up in a steam enthalpy table. I'll go grab a thermo book in a bit here and look it up!

Yeah a long pipe would be more efficient but high rpm engines can be really fast. I might get a long pipe at some point to try, but this works for now.

So this water is getting into superheated territory but not supercritical. Superheated water is so interesting.

Maybe try water and water wetter, it lowerd the temps on my thermosiphon bike by ~18* degrees compared to just water. Idk why solo says to use str8 antifreeze, unless the poor thermal conduction is what they were going for.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> That's cool, that's kinda what my theory was on why they did it, it's

> just so dumb and impractical on an engine making 1.5 hp,

Solo's were 2.5hp

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^ Fits a pullstart real good. Just gotta hose clamp it to the cases

If anyone has a big fat pipe body for cheap or free let me know. Like a treats gigantor or something.

I thought I had an Estoril here but it’s MIA.

Interesting chart showing thermal conductivity of water as temp increases at varying pressure 0-200C

it gets much better as it gets hotter in our moped cyl temp range. This cyl acts like it wants to stay in the mid to high 200Fs, but then will get to 330F or so during a mountain climb at the top.

C71E984A-1111-4F6D-A4E8-BB5D6B3A35FE.jpeg

(edited)

Top of variation shifted way too fast due to a flat area at the end of the ramps so I soldered ramps onto the cheek and ramped them. I said ramp. Works well, finally it doesn’t shift like a clunk into 3rd, overvariating badly. Used silver bearing solder.

Yes the cheek is cast iron. Wtf? And I got a big sprocket. But I have chain tightening loosening issue. Do you ever see this with big rear sprockets? Should I free align it after some cutting? I think so

DC078E8D-D2A1-49DE-A482-6816B9FB625C.jpeg
E254D8B7-AEB7-4074-A7AB-0170BA86FA9A.jpeg
00108C7E-88BE-4E86-8058-0F0FA1AD11C7.jpeg

(edited)

And you know what sucks? The cheeks are really loud. The rollers shake inside it and it sounds like detonation. The thin cast iron is noisy af

New chain with a big sprocket will have more links and it will stretch easier. I feel like with a new chains you can go around the block and have to tighten it. I had to take out two links after one ride on my dirt bike.

It’s not a new chain. I’ve had this happen with sprockets 56-62 teeth. Pretty much every one

🤔 because of the added torque it could caus the links to stretch quicker? Complete speculation....

No it’s not chain stretch at all. It’s not aligned it feels like. It doesn’t take much of an offset from center to cause issues on a sprocket bigger than 56. At least that’s what I think it is. I bet if it moved like 1-2mm it would be perfect.

We’ll find out tomorrow

im also looking for a stock av10 reed block with reeds or not. It looks like I could fit them in the solo, it would help get rid of a shitty 13mm restriction on that stock plastic reed plate.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account