single ring vs dual ring piston

i need a good and powerful cylinder kit for my runner sp 50. i have reliability as a top factor. my top choices are: stage 6 streetrace / tpr due plus kit. the due plus kit is a single ring cast iron kit with a coated asso piston. the s6 kit is a dual ring cast iron vertex piston. i dont mind changing a piston every 3-5k miles my main concern is if the kit would be able to cope with a lot of stress for example long high speed rides. also i am wondering if my reinforced rms/motoforce crankshaft with 1k miles on it would be able to cope with the single ring 12k rpm kit. thanks in advance!

Re: single ring vs dual ring piston

Dirty30 Dillon /

Stage 6 is rated for more power, and dual ring; and the Top is single ring buch much more mild porting. They're both cast and good quality kits. If it were my daily I would go Top and just enjoy it.

the top is rated at much higher outputs. marketed as the most poweful cast iron kit. with a good setup it can pull up to 14hp

Dirty30 Dillon /

I must have been looking at the wrong PN's than. I don't think that your crank will be the issue, if that's what your question is.

You seem to have a grasp on the outputs and pros/cons of the dual/single ring piston, so I would choose the kit that suits your needs best.

i just want a powerful cylinder, i dont see a lot of people running the due plus kit.. thats why i wanted some advice

How longer should last dual vs single ring? Can ring material make a lot of difference in wearing? Like, if is single but steel or chrome plated vs dual cast iron?

That depends on the person in charge of the throttle .

Dual rings will out last single . That's why most street-able bikes are made with 2 rings ... longevity .

plated rings apparently seem to last a bit longer than non plated ones. but after some research i found out that whatever single ring configuration you install, dual rings will run for much longer before any lost of compression. they tend to rev higher than dual rings, they have less friction to the cylinder, thats why they rev higher, but they dont last long due to ring wear no matter if they are plated or what. for street/daily use 2 rings are a better application. i am going with a 2 ring kit personally

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account