Holding 1st gear longer on an A35

I have seen several youtube videos about how to make A Tomos 2 speed shift into 2nd at a higher speed. Some mix 90 W gear 50/50 oil with the Automatic Transmission Fluid and put in twice as much of that mixture as recommended while others just put twice as much straight Transmission fluid into the Transmission.

Is there a danger of blowing the seals with the overfilling and have any of you tried this method and if so does it work.

Re: Holding 1st gear longer on an A35

i tell you what works perfectly without pouring the whole refinery at it and having biden all riled up! Lol joking. Anyhow all your modern tomos a35/a55 that are clutched with cork shoes hold at average 9 Oz's of oil. You can measure doing the level check to see for yourself. About 9 Oz's. So if you get you a measure cup and after every fluid change just put 11 Oz's of fluid in no more. And you don't need quarts of gear oil. Just put 11 ounces of fluid in. And she will have a prolonged shift into 2nd gear. Instead of the usual 10-15 mph shift it wiyll revv you out to betwixed 15- 20 so have fun and try to remember to message me back and tell me exactly what the shift range is. Thanks and enjoy. Welcome to tomos.#1 moped brand.

Mark.

O.K. I will put in 2 more oz. tomorrow and try it. Thanks.

Any update on this ?, Did 11oz refill work ?

just put in a stiffer clutch springs

Any update on this ?, Did 11oz refill work ?

I will put in 2 more oz. tomorrow, Monday the 26th. and I will report back on how it works out.

I don't over fill tomos, it will cause the 'black wheel' leaking out the pedal shaft.

I do run 15w40 oil in them and a second gear clutch spring helps a lot.

The higher you shift into second the more stress it puts on the trans, they are already kinda weak so it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Bill, dont over fill the oil on any 2 speed auto. It will not help and will put extra pressure on your seals and cause one to fail. A stiffer second speed clutch spring is best way to go. But I second the statement about causing added stress when shifting at a higher speed.

Aren't some of the tomos engines vented?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

New shoes halp. ...

If he's just riding in The city wanting to get up to speed with traffic and has a really decent condition tomos I get what he's doing. But for real Bill these fellas know these engines if your willing to put a seal in it every now and then go for it. It's easier than changing a tire and cheap. But just upjet and put on a fancy pipe Bill it will give you some extra off the start!!

Well I put in 2 more Ozs. of oil but there was no difference, It shifts at about 15 MPH and bogs way down. I think I will try a stiffer 1st gear clutch spring. Also i have a Biturbo exhaust that runs very well at the high RPM range but I have heard they do not give much torque on the low end so that may be part of my problem. I may end up taking the Biturbo off and putting on a stock Tomos A35 exhaust to try to get more low range power for these hills we have here. What are your thoughts on that?

No just put in a stiffer 2nd gear clutch spring for a later shift. Do not overfill with fluid. And keep the biturbo pipe unless you want to upgrade to an estoril.

Biturbo doesn't have anything bill but a little more top end. Go with the stiffer spring like a few of the guys said and consider estoril. It's better than biturbo for pulling power.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

First gear pads worn.

New ones would shift about 18 but will grab not slip ...

Hill set up...

Kitted 15.15 sha 26 × 26 gearing any pipe upgrade 2 stage boysen reeds.

It shouldn't bog when it shifts, sounds like your tuning is wack?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Clogged gas cap vent...

Low fuel flow...

Bill get inside of the carburetor man! There's a black bowl. Look for a little gold color nugget with#s on it and tell me what number is it? 53? 54? 56? What do you have in it??

Mark,

I up jetted to a 67 with a brand new Dellorto 14-12 . I think I am going to advance the timing a little more. It is now about 15 BTDC. It tops out at about 33 MPH and runs very well at WOT but realy doesn't have any power when it shifts into 2nd. It dies off as soon as it it's 2nd. and then comes back strong when it gets into the High RPM range.

Dave Thacker /

33? Confirming one of my suspicions. You don't have enough power to slip 2nd. ??

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Is it a piston port or reads if it's reeds you might have a bad read or it's hung up or your piston port the intake is loose

That's what I just found on my a35 slew. Damn bolts on the intake were not pulling the intake tight because of old dried loctite. So I cleaned up the intake bolts and put it back together making sure the bolts would thread fully through to tighten and seal.

I am just going to accept my A 35 shifting at 15 MPH or so says the Tomos Speedometer.

I just put in a new stiffer 2nd gear spring the first gear spring was changed 2 weeks ago. I took out 2 of the stock Dellorto carb intake screens and It runs real well with a #67 Jet.

It does 40MPH on level according to the new Tomos Speedometer. I do know it's much faster and goes up hill a lot better than my stock newly rebuilt Puch E 50.

It rides well and overall is a great Moped. The 2 speed is a great advantage starting out at the bottom of a hill. Thanks for all the help everyone. I am Happy.

Tomos & Puch.JPG

As long as you're happy . ;)

That's about how mine is right now. I have to run a #68 jet or higher in my sha 1412 or it runs Lean

I know its an older thread (and its not like I've built a hundred A35s or anything so feel free to ignore), but from my limited Tomos experience I would say instead of overfilling fluid and doing workarounds I would just replace the 2nd gear spring. I took that advice and have a red spring 2nd gear and a Jammer 1st with the medium springs and I love it - takes off pretty good with a nice little bump in takeoff RPM, raised the shift point quite a bit, and doesn't slip with a 45mm Alukit w/ single ring piston, high comp head, 19mm PHBG, big reed, and YZ85 dirtbike pipe. Its on a lighter BMX bike build and not a full moped, but when all was said and done it was only around 25lbs lighter than the Streetmate that I took the engine/wheels/fork off of so should still be relevant.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

It is actually just the friction materials and the fluid as to when it shifts.

A spring delays it from shifting till a higher rpm thinner fluids will engage sooner thicker later.

Imediate ripper 3 parts marvel mystery oil 1 part synthetic type f tranny fluid .

on the oem shoes leather or cork will be a different bike.

Taller gearing delays shift

red springs for them all, shifts at around 25.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account