Athena 46mm case boring and porting

Just started messing with this. Work has been rough lately so have not had much time to wrench. Probably be spring before I am finished....

C5E51328-53B8-4880-9D54-AFBDE22F8EF0.jpeg
FC09EE7E-C496-487A-B630-065C2B1E5617.jpeg

Curious about porting this kit. Wanted to go crazy with aux ports but it look like the ring land goes right over the one. See sharpie gate. I also wanted to make the 4 intake windows into two big ones. But again the ring land is right next to the outside of the one window. Which makes me think that is why there are separate to support the ring? Idk....let’s see what I come up with. It may be good it may suck.

Re: Athena 46mm case boring and porting

Why not reposition the ring locator pins ?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'll have to pull out my Athena/Stock cases next time I am in and we'll do this in tandem.

I just got one of the polini racing kits and cdi cases. I’m much excited to finally build a Vespa for myself.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'll have to pull out my Athena/Stock cases next time I am in and we'll

> do this in tandem.

That would be awesome! Has been fun so far after the 6 hours of case cutting....woof!

That Is rad Daniel

8026FC45-8AE6-4945-9901-D0639476D071.jpeg

Cases are done. Bored and case matched! I’ll have to do a little more after I mess with the intake but the hard part is done! ✅

image.jpg

I may just make the back black go away and thin out the bridges.

image.jpg

Idk about moving the ring land pin...it would solve all my problems and I could a lot bigger with the exhaust.....but I am kinda worried about making a roll pin stay in place. I know lots of people have done it but it worries me. I don’t want to do all then then have the roll pin fail.

What were you using to bore the cases? I am about to open up some stock cases for a 46mm Mallossi.

Looking good, Glracing ported one of those, there are pics on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/996274160444907/photos/a.996278563777800/3350705261668440/?type=3 (edited)

B6701A5F-DE32-40F0-894B-0A00ACA3116F.jpeg

That was that Malossi case cutting tool. They are not very common to get your hands on.

I also used a flapper wheel to thin it out, so I did not have to take as much material off. If I was to do this shouts the tool I would just find a flapper wheel the right size of the kit. After using the tool I think I should have went that route from the start. My back and arms are killing me.

Thanks Joe.

Damn...I don’t have face book. Does he have a lot of pictures of what he did? That is about how I want my exhaust to be. Thanks for sharing.

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> Thanks Joe.

>

> Damn...I don’t have face book. Does he have a lot of pictures of what

> he did? That is about how I want my exhaust to be. Thanks for sharing.

Here are 3 more of that kit, but there are 100’s of pictures of port jobs they have done.

13401849-BD63-49FB-8232-CB9DD038A1F5.jpeg
B1FCD247-6477-4E27-9E20-229D3B2495F0.jpeg
BFEDF009-2CDE-4B5E-B9CE-722EFE7591EB.jpeg

Thanks Joe! That is what I wanted to see.

Whoa! That is a single ring piston....... that would be a game changer.

Hummm I need to go back in the shop and look....I may just run the Dikes ring and not the lower depending wherever it has the ring pin on the intake or exhaust side.... (edited)

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> >

> I may just make the back black go away and thin out the bridges.

>

> Idk about moving the ring land pin...it would solve all my problems and

> I could a lot bigger with the exhaust.....but I am kinda worried about

> making a roll pin stay in place. I know lots of people have done it but

> it worries me. I don’t want to do all then then have the roll pin fail.

I pinned the piston of my '57 Simplex , using 1/4" long x 3/32" wide compression pins .

I drilled the landings above the wrist pin , but toward the rear , to a depth of about 5/32" . The pins had to be driven in , so it's unlikely that much , if any, outward drift will happen . I squared the outer end of the pins and called them 'good for service' .

Then the ring ends needed relieving to fit the pins . I used a jewelers square file to reach that 'end' .

That was 5 years ago . Those pins haven't moved an iota , since . ;)

B1A57A48-E5D1-41C7-A695-CAD090D9B86C.jpeg
BA25C86D-F7A2-4EF2-8841-9E8B1CE13540.jpeg
6BD5B942-B688-4627-AE7E-824064B0D3A1.jpeg

PD I have seen that before, glad it is holding up. Idk if I could replicate it...

Intake is done ✅ cases are at 95% just need to add some notches for the modifications I make to the intake ports. I hate cutting the intake. Makes me nervous every time. I think this one is pretty good. I always worry how thin that stupid dimple on the stator side is. Probably should have just aluminum stick welded it so I don’t have to worry when I bore it out....maybe next time. This one is done!

Now to ponder porting.

Would you consider lending or renting it out. I was thinking about using a flapper wheel, but that was designed for the job.

> Declan g Wrote:

> Would you consider lending or renting it out. I was thinking about using

> a flapper wheel, but that was designed for the job.

Sorry dude it is not mine.

Some info on a flapper....When I do Gilas on puchs I mark the area I need to take away with a sharpie then slowly take it away all the way down just enough so the skirt will slide in. Checking it every few MM. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

I love that stock euro intake patch.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I love that stock euro intake patch.

Dude it is so nice! You have to worry about messing it up because you don’t have to get near it!

Man I am motivated...but it is going to be tough to find time to mess with it the next few weeks....but I am going to try to keep moving on it. (edited)

The cases on my si also had that rectangle intake patch, but unfortunately the p.o. Hammered a screwdriver into the cases to split them and completely ruined them.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> The cases on my si also had that rectangle intake patch, but

> unfortunately the p.o. Hammered a screwdriver into the cases to split

> them and completely ruined them.

😳 wow!

E78AB802-AE43-4283-AD43-941E33D71B15.jpeg

Wish I had more to share. Been super busy.... I had some time so I fixed this head. Crazy how so many heads come with the same finish in the dome as they have on the outside of the head. Oh well this one is fixed. Have to lap the decomp then this will be done.

Shiny

Proper shiny......damn

7C1DD600-40D7-4556-B49A-5AB55A433B66.jpeg
5CDC9509-0262-49DB-BFFE-8EDF723A8540.jpeg

Scratched my head an my ass long enough...came up with this. Going to just run the top dikes ring. It should be fineish. Getting a piston to work ended up being out of the question or at least what I could find. Not my best work and not what I wanted but it should run goodish.

Bunny boosts

What do you know.....runs good. All I have left to do is fight with the 13:13 carb to get it to seal at the base and I should be good. God do I hate an SHA. Definitely impressed so far with the kit. Had to fight with the new crank taper being a little lower and the CDI flywheel rubbing on the cases. Busted out the dremil and it is fine...... So form here on out either it can get better or worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account