Re: Are dual carb Vespas REAL?

It looks like you did based on the lines but when I have to deck something.....which I hate. I usually work in one direction for 5 passes then turn it a 1/4 turn do 5 more then turn again and so on. Then do a few final passes with 3 each then turn. I always feel like has become leaves something to be desired. Yours looks good. Hoping for no air leaks for ya!

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

These pinasco case halves are attrocious. The thing just fell apart like styrofoam when I went to torque the case nuts down to spec. Actually I wasn't even 50% of the recommended torque. Looking at the broken metal there are tons of air bubbles too. Is this normal for aluminum casting?

The 43mm ones aren't in stock anymore even if I was going to attempt to use one of these junk case halves again. The 46 are thought. So I suppose ill order the CNC 43mm one from moparts racing. which means I turned those holes in the stock cranks for nothing since that kit shoots in front of the bearing and not through the crank nub.

Really dissappointed lol. I can't believe how easily that metal just came apart. It split like nothing. Fucking junk.

20210123_130518.jpg
20210123_131531.jpg

Omg that’s horrible.

Was it just not flat?

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

It was flat. I checked everywhere before mounting.

It sit flush just fine all the way down and the two halves where touching everywhere that I could see. Crank spun freely. Then when I began to torque down literally the first bolt it just cracked like in the photo.

I did things no different than I have with any other vespa case in the past and I would say this one was actually going very well before this. The bearings were fully seated everywhere which usually isn't the case. I often have to fight them.

So I guess this is on hold until I get a new one in from Moparts. On the bright side I'll have to upgrade to a 19mm dellorto carb for that side. So maybe I'll see a performance gain compared to the theoretical setup that was gonna use the 13mm SHA for that side carb.

todd amundson /

When I did this it was 100% the bearing binding on the covers seat. It was a stock case half that I didn’t heat before putting it on there all crooked and cranked down with the case bolts. Snapping it the exact same way. I actually set up a boiling pot of water the next time around and it just fell over that bearing with zero resistance. Sell me that broke as cover! Both pieces!

Dirty30 Dillon /

I was going to say, this is pretty common if you try to pull the cases together.

Gotta use hot/cold to seat that side and it's flawless.

Sounds like ya didn’t have it seated properly and snapped it. After that you proceeded to blamed the part to make you feel less like a idiot, good thing you posted about it. Good job

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Poor cast aluminum will shatter. It it was improperly seated and torqued to spec, I’m betting it would break/bend the alignment piece on the ignition side.

If small side was flat agaist the other half, and then evenly torqued, it would be physically impossible for the small side to suddenly jump up 3 mm by itself.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

> ian c Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> After that

> you proceeded to blamed the part to make you feel less like a idiot,

> good thing you posted about it. Good job

LOL, yeaaaaa ... OK. I'm sure your two mopeds, zero vespas, zero experience with pinasco dual carb case halves, and abundant experience with trucks greatly qualifies you to comment so definitively on the subject. (edited)

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Pic was taken like 20 minutes after the shit, poorly casted, trash part basically combusted.

So I had already begun to remove the crank and case half when I remembered to snap a pic.

Maybe it's hard to imagine this ancient part was poorly casted or deteriorated during storage and lost some strength but it did. Ive closed dozens of specifically VESPA cases and never ever had issues like this. The casting on this part was ass. There are air bubbles everywhere.

But I'm sure you were there to watch every step and I did everything wrong. 🤭

Man everyone has fails. The thing is, are you confident enough in your work to post fails....obviously you are. No shame in that. I love it...it shows others what could/might happen. It’s mopeds being cobbled together with half ass parts that almost always have issues or need modifications. This is a little more complicated then slapping a treats kit on a TOMos with a biturbo.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Hahaha thank you. Yes I love posting fails.

Sometimes things go swimmingly. Like my recent rebuild on my AR50. This build is a different story though.

No worries I have a quality replacement on the way from Moparts. Got the last one. This is a new product for them and is the same as the CNC one on treats but it has an oil hole for bearing lubrication. Being CNC machined this piece should be really nicely built.

Fredrick was chiming in earlier on this thread with his triple carb ciao. Thanks for hooking it up on this case half Fredrick!

I will be running the malossi reed kit to start.

I think it's designed for a 19mm dellorto but we'll see if anything else fits. I have a mikuni vm18 and a dellorto 16:16 laying around I'd like to use.

Hopefully this kit works out a bit better than the pinasco deal.

https://moparts-racing.com/products/reed-valve-side-intake-case-half?_pos=9&_sid=2fff02624&_ss=r

P1A4908_900x.jpg
MalossiReedValveKitforSimoniniReedValveSide-Inlets_1080x.jpg

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Benji also hooked it up and sent me a $50 GC for the pinasco. I love treats!

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Bumping this because I've made some progress, finally. It was a slow winter.

I did end up getting the Moparts case half and malossi intake linked above. It was the easiest vespa engine I ever put together with that case half, like butter. I did freeze the crank and heat the halves.

For now I have a spare VM18 from my AR50 I'm going to use for the side carb. Still the 13.13 SHA in the normal spot. Smaller range jets on the way too because everything I have is probably going to be too big (but then again I have zero starting point for this).

Swapping to an air cooled malossi head for now, just while I get this thing running. I still to find a radiator and decide on pump vs thermosiphon etc. New malossi piston and rings on the way, as well as a Parmakit CDI box which from what I told is compatible with the kinetic cdi. I really wanted to get rid of having both a CDI box and HT coil and combine them into one unit plus it sounds like the curve on this box is awesome.

Mocked up the fuel lines, and this weekend hopefully I can tackle the throttle cable splitting using the parts that were included in the pinasco kit.

I think I'm going to regret not having a needle bearing crank on this lol. We'll see I guess.

Screenshot_20210413-234820_Gallery.jpg

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I also got my 97mm side bleed from Ryan. Man, it's gorgeous. I threw it on my kitted grande and gained top end and tons of torque. I think it's going to be even better on this bike.

The craftsmanship is wild. So glad he's finally doing vespa pipes. These are the first two! Thanks Ryan!!

He also built one with the same cone dimensions as a proma circuit, roughly. My grande already had a proma and still it gained top end and tons of torque with that one. (edited)

Screenshot_20210413-235243_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20210413-235247_Messenger.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

SO you spent all this on the case half, the sub frame and the pipes... but you have a stock bushing crank?

I'm so confused. Roller cranks are so affordable

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Stock vespa cranks are stupid strong so I don't really fucking care. I'll ride it until it causes issues. Actually one less thing to explode and fuck up my entire engine. Needle bearing failures are a nightmare.

Also have so many stock cranks. I didn't want to cut and turn (for the pinasco half originally) a brand new roller crank. This might not even be the intake timing I stick with. Who cares? (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Wrote:

> Stock vespa cranks are stupid strong so I don't really fucking care.

> I'll ride it until it causes issues. Actually one less thing to explode

> and fuck up my entire engine. Needle bearing failures are a nightmare.

>

> Also have so many stock cranks. I didn't want to cut and turn (for the

> pinasco half originally) a brand new roller crank. This might not even

> be the intake timing I stick with. Who cares?

As someone who has built a bunch of Vespas and seen multiple stock cranks seized/spin the small end bushing, typically trashing the piston as well, I was just trying to offer some constructive criticism.

I don't think I am the only person in this thread alone that would make the same recommendation.

> Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Wrote:

> I also got my 97mm side bleed from Ryan. Man, it's gorgeous. I threw it

> on my kitted grande and gained top end and tons of torque. I think it's

> going to be even better on this bike.

>

> The craftsmanship is wild. So glad he's finally doing vespa pipes. These

> are the first two! Thanks Ryan!!

>

> He also built one with the same cone dimensions as a proma circuit,

> roughly. My grande already had a proma and still it gained top end and

> tons of torque with that one.

Those pipes are so rad.

Which kit are you running the 97mm side bleed on? What pipe did you have on it before? (edited)

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

It's a 43mm Malossi. Uncut crank cut but I opened the inlet to the max. I just love this malossi kit.

The mid range torque increase was so insane.

Sweet! I wonder how it compares to a calibrata pipe.

It's kinda funny, the 43mm malossi kit is what I put on my first moped (a kinetic) back in 2004.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Haha, it was my first kit ever too!!

Did it always have that crazy swiss cheese piston, even back then?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account