Polini Vs Polini Parallel Build Off

Winter project all lined out. First batch of parts have been ordered. Here’s the scoop. I’ve got this Free Spirit I picked up several months ago, and this Minarelli Dialex EZ Rider that I just snagged. Both bikes were locked up. Minarelli is now free, but bearings feel rough. I’ve got very little into either of them- less than $200 combined for the pair- so I’ve got a lot of financial leeway to invest in them. Within reason. Plus I’ve been wanting a Polini Free Spirit to pair with my Gila FS, and I’ve been wanting to build a Minarelli Polini too, so here we go.

6C7ADAE6-46E5-48B0-9261-71A50206C848.jpeg

I’ve got the kits ordered. I bought the Tier 1 package for the Minarelli, with the head, Mikuni carb & intake. Along with the rebuild kit w/ seals, gaskets & bearings. And the Puch Polini kit. Along with new Nachi bearings & Viton seals. Stroker crank coming for the e50. Still searching for a V1 crank. Also still searching for an Estoril for the Puch. Not sure which pipe I’m gonna go on the V1. I’ll figure that out later.

Whatcha think? Which one will outperform in torque and speed? I’m anxious to find out; I haven’t ridden either Polini powered bike. Feel free to chime in with all the tips, tricks and suggestions you want. I appreciate learning from your experience to build on my own.

Re: Polini Vs Polini Parallel Build Off

If you want blast off power on the V1, get the proma circuit pipe. It's got some serious low to mid pull. I had to gear my Cimatti from 10-42 down to 12-38, and it still blasts to 45 in under a block.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you want blast off power on the V1, get the proma circuit pipe. It's

> got some serious low to mid pull. I had to gear my Cimatti from 10-42

> down to 12-38, and it still blasts to 45 in under a block.

Does it sound like a rabid weed eater like my Vespa Proma? The whole damn town hates that bike.

Overpriced Parts /

> Seth B Wrote:

> > baird co Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If you want blast off power on the V1, get the proma circuit pipe.

> It's

>

> > got some serious low to mid pull. I had to gear my Cimatti from 10-42

>

> > down to 12-38, and it still blasts to 45 in under a block.

>

> Does it sound like a rabid weed eater like my Vespa Proma? The whole

> damn town hates that bike.

That’s tough, if the town hates you tell them you’re going to get Harley Davidson with open pipes

I hate people who complain about a little stupid Moped yet when the Harley comes down the street and shakes their whole house and or cracks windows say nothing because they’re afraid,

My one ultra quiet BMW bike owner neighbor who complained to me a few years ago well more like 8-10 years ago about me making tuning runs with a tecno circuit pipe moped,

I said well You don’t complain about any of the Harley riders around here I think I’ll just get a Harley with open pipes and make tuning runs with that and he shut up (He didn’t even know what a tuning run was) And Now gives me a thumbs up when I go by his house

A well built puch polini will run circles around the v1 polini, but the v1 kit is a lot more beginner friendly, especially with the VM or sha which basically tune themselves.

Aside from being made by the same company, they are radically different kits but both pretty great in their own right. Be interested to see how your builds turn out.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I was going to say, this is a very apples to oranges comparison. Also, you're kind of negating the best part about the Puch Polini, which is the square cylinder/bore.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I was going to say, this is a very apples to oranges comparison. Also,

> you're kind of negating the best part about the Puch Polini, which is

> the square cylinder/bore.

Yeah I'm messing with a 45 dmp reed build right now with the stroker, interested to see how much this actually matters, I definitely don't understand all the implications of what's going on in these engines but I don't see going from 43*43 to 43*44 making much difference. It will fuck up the porting, which imo is pretty dumb because the kit is ported pretty much perfect out of the box, and it sounds like this build won't be pushing the limit so it's not like there is any good reason to fuck with a kit that already can turn 12k out of the box.

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I was going to say, this is a very apples to oranges comparison. Also,

>

> > you're kind of negating the best part about the Puch Polini, which is

>

> > the square cylinder/bore.

>

> Yeah I'm messing with a 45 dmp reed build right now with the stroker,

> interested to see how much this actually matters, I definitely don't

> understand all the implications of what's going on in these engines but

> I don't see going from 43*43 to 43*44 making much difference. It will

> fuck up the porting, which imo is pretty dumb because the kit is ported

> pretty much perfect out of the box, and it sounds like this build won't

> be pushing the limit so it's not like there is any good reason to fuck

> with a kit that already can turn 12k out of the box.

1/2 a millimeter won’t mess up anything, remember it’s only 1/2 of a millimeter down and 1/2 of a millimeter up

1 mm both ways On many kits will improve not ruin

And treats read kit and dmp reed kit 1 mm both ways would actually be better because you could base it up maybe only 1 mm and you won’t have to deck Cylinder or countersunk head so come on 2mm stroker crank

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'm pretty sure the puch polini is 43.5mm bore? Stock e50 stroke is 43mm, so going to a 44m stroke you'd go from 0.5mm oversquare to 0.5mm undersquare.

if anything, oversquare is better for tiny moped engines, but the difference in this case is negligible i think.

I ran the 44m stroker crank in an e50 that i built with an A55 tomos cylinder, with the exhaust port opened up a little. Lightened two shoe with blue springs, people's pipe, 14mm phva, and bosch points made for a VERY fun 50cc setup, pulled about as hard as a slapped together 44/45mm piston port kit. It was on a bike i sold last year, might have to build another one eventually.

This is all good stuff. This is all about what I’m learning. I didn’t just opt for the Stroker crank all Willy-Nilly. It was recommended by two different experts in the matter. Especially since the Rito crank is unavailable. I’m really excited to see how these wind up. I get that it’s kinda apples & oranges, but that’s kind of the point. To see the different performance with v1 displacement vs Puch porting.

up shits creek /

Get a crank pipe for that puch. Go fast

Don't die

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

The V1 polini is a much better kit overall

The E50 polini is going to go faster no question. The exhaust port alone is bigger than you can easily make the V1 polini's exhaust port. It also comes stock with Reed valves (which you can now add to the V1 polini) and the porting for said valves

The E50 polini is also only one ring and any failures you may have are generally catastrophic. It also builds up a lot of heat at the exhaust port.

The V1 polini has very good heat sink/dissapation even without active fan cooling. It's also basically indestructible and you can abuse the bore/piston to your hearts content. That said, it's fairly limited in the upper rev range. It's a torque monster for sure tho

I like to run v1 polini with one ring, it makes it easier to start and it revs a little more freely in the upper rpms. Make sure you peel off the original 40mm head gasket, I have seen more than a few over the years not realize it’s there and end up melting it and sending molten aluminum around in the motor.

Haha, I knew when I posted that... Maitland in 5...4...3...2...

That's what is kinda cool about this post, if you really wanted to build them apples-to-apples you could run them both with vm20 or phbg, tecno estoril, and really do a proper heads up challenge.

Or, you could build them dollar-to-dollar and run the puch with a 14 bing for about the same total cost as the v1, which performance wise would be closer to a fair fight.

It's kinda different strokes, I think just about any way you measure it the puch is better, but if you're a stoned teenager using borrowed standard tools to assemble it incorrectly in the dark, you do stand a better chance of getting it right with the v1, so there is that.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I mean I'm stuck at home and my job is on the internet I am fairly bored during the day hahahah now im gonna read what yall posted

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

Sounds like a great project, and I like the idea of pitting the polini makes against each other. As already mentioned, I agree that the puch polini will take the top end no problem, but I'd bet with the minarelli polini off the line! Like the puch would win the drag race, but the minarelli might take it on a winding track race. Unless you are doing some clutch modifications as well, but that wasn't mentioned. At a minimum, you might consider blue clutch springs on the minarelli and kickstart springs on the puch.

As for build longevity, you will be riding that minarelli longer with less issues than the puch.

It be great to see what a puch polini on a minarelli would do...next project suggestion.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I'll donate a spacer to someone who does a full detailed build and test ride thread for an e50 polini on a v1

Im not much for detailed build threads but Puch polini on a v1 is rowdy af. 21 phbg 52 on 9/36 pulls hard

20200816_102049.jpg

Eats stock clutches for breakfast

20200131_202608.jpg

Big ol Scentsy box showed up on my porch over the weekend. Treats are here!

I finally have some time to work on this. I’m starting on the Free Spirit first. A few weeks ago, I put some Gazelles on that I was saving. Serviced the brakes & greased the wheel bearings while I was at it. OG e50 was seized, so I took it off and tore it down yesterday. It seized at the flywheel side crank bearing. Rusted. Piston is missing top ring and is scored up, but cylinder was fine. Blah blah blah. This shit ain’t going back on the bike anyways, so who cares. Moving on.

image.jpg
image.jpg

This stuff IS going back on though. Well, some of it. Maybe not the Sir Thomas Beecham cassette, or the cats on trampolines t-shirt.

81E9D00D-64BE-4396-89B5-76B8C9B6D421.jpeg
E783DEA4-6FB2-4375-B103-6E63938FDF3A.jpeg

Ruckus is not thrilled to be wearing the cat shirt.

Thanks, Treatland, for turning my dog against me.

I had another set of e50 cases laying around, soooo...

image.jpg

Boom, done!

I had these case matched a few months back, so I had them on the shelf ready to go. I can’t take credit for this fine machine work though. I had one of the best in the business do these for me. Don’t judge me. I don’t trust the vision I have left in my one eye, nor do I want to risk it with flying aluminum chips, so I hire out my case matching & porting.

Time to clean it up & put ‘er together!

> Seth B Wrote:

> Ruckus is not thrilled to be wearing the cat shirt.

You're lucky he doesn't turn you in to the ASPCA . ;)

Looks to be a cool dog , anyway .

Last steps before final case assembly- clutch shimming, prelube bearings, and mock up.

2BEE362D-6502-436D-9924-194BD5F26814.jpeg
8C2BDE7F-C3C8-4457-B6E6-9C40E8AB1FF8.jpeg
0F0B663A-FCFB-4BA9-9FA0-762EF8EAFB3A.jpeg

I’ve ran the e50 polini on a v1 with the spacer and it was a beast. Not as wild as the e50 gila on a v1 but very close.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account