carb question on kit conversion

roots to wings /

going to put a 65cc airsal on a 79 maxi hi torque e50 that has a stock 12mm oem bing on it now (2.12a atomizer). it's for my 16 year old son and i want to "governor" it a bit so it maxes out under 40. I want him to have a little fun, but not too much. Can I run it with the 12mm bing? If so, what jet? I believe I have a 64 or 66 on it right now (58 is stock) it's got an estoril and hi flow metal mesh on it now with 16x45. I know a 15mm bing uses a 78 and 14mm bing uses a 72 with this setup, but not sure about the 12mm. thx for your help

Re: carb question on kit conversion

You can add easy speed restrictions. Over jet a little, or you can add some more air resistance to the carb airbox. Another one is to get a throttle cable just a bit too long so the slide cant open all the way up. Easier to make happen on a tomos/domino throttle vs a maxi/magura throttle.

Maybe you could put something to stop the slide on the top cap?

Overpriced Parts /

It could be be close to the same as a 14mm carb Run the 222 atomizer it works better with a kit that has boost ports and it could take a bigger jet around #68-72 jet especially if you’re running a unrebuilt engine with 41 year old seals you’re going to have some air leaking in mix

There is no set in stone jet size when you say a #72 jet for 14 mm carb it’s not always a 72# jet but for a piston port kit and small pipe yeah 72 could be close, reed kit and big pipe it could be a lot bigger jet, a estroil has a pretty big chamber also,

Time good in the low end of the specifications and then Jet from high size jet to low and try every needle setting and run a head temperature gauge to aid in the tuning and to keep from blowing up the kit

roots to wings /

thanks. pretty sure i can point to numerous posts where you recommend 72 on 14mm bing and 78 on a 15mm. i followed your advice in this forum laboriously when I put the 65 airsal on another e50 and it's finally running great (except for the broken throttle cable) once i got a real bing 15 and 2.17 on it with the right needle clip position. i was surprised to learn how much difference needle clip position made on a kitted bike. i understand every bike is a bit different and i may end up in a different place with this one. for example, i ended up on needle clip 3 on the one i have running (maybe i need more fuel to make up for my not rebuilt bottom end.

Don't put the 65cc kit on it would govern it better, surely?

If you run short gears and the stock pipe it will stay below 40 and run pretty well.

I'd still do the case seals at a bare minimum, you'll spend more time trying to tune around bad seals then you will rebuilding the engine

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account