Re: Limits on reed sizing?

Yeah that's kinda the idea behind the boyesen, other companies have tried other multi stage or asymmetrical reeds.

I think at the end of the day, reeds can only hurt you, they aren't gonna give you more power, as long as they are big enough to keep from holding you back time and money are better spent elsewhere

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah that's kinda the idea behind the boyesen, other companies have

> tried other multi stage or asymmetrical reeds.

>

> I think at the end of the day, reeds can only hurt you, they aren't

> gonna give you more power, as long as they are big enough to keep from

> holding you back time and money are better spent elsewhere

So you prefer a piston port vs reeds?

What about a piston port cyl with a case inducted reed deal? Can it be case inducted and not have reeds?

Overpriced Parts /

It’s better to take the overall size and break it up in to eight reeds instead of two or four reeds! then you’ll have good throttle response throughout the range!

If you just have two reeds instead of eight petal reeds the throttle response and low mid torque is nothing compared to 8 reeds though it’s equal to the same at full throttle,

I don’t know about you guys but I like going riding through traffic and hills and having perfect as well as instant throttle response throughout the range not just full throttle

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> So you prefer a piston port vs reeds?

>

Noooooooo!

Haha I can see how you would reed my comment that way, sorry, I meant that you're not gonna get magic extra power from crazy reeds, like, not a ton.

Ken is spot on, it's really popular for dirt bikes to spend big money (in moped terms $300+) on veforce or something that will help torque but that's like adding maybe 1 ft lbs on a 40+ hp motor right in the midrange.

I wrote that comment stupid, what I meant to say was that adding bigger reeds won't give you more power of you don't have the other stuff to support it. It's not like a pipe where it will take you to the next level, if that makes sense.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Swapping reeds can limit you, but they won't ENHANCE the motor as much as other aspects of the bike will.

Once you've eliminated the bottle neck from the reeds, it becomes the next smallest diameter. TBH, at the extreme, I can imagine a GIANT reed block on a 49cc motor would definitely lose airspeed in the tract just given the volume around the reed cage and assembly. I mean, lots of high HP builds have the same AM6 sized reeds with a stuffer in place to get back some of that lost volume.

Thanks graham. It makes sense. I guess my questions are assuming that every other possible speed tricks are used and this is just what Jbot was asking about how much reed power you can stuff in. And what limitations and where we could make the adjustments to get that infinitesimal change in your power range.

It's what tuning is about right?

Great thread!

I just changed the reeds on my solo to bigger av10 bois. But you know what? Didn’t make that much of a difference because I’m limited by the porting. So now the bottleneck is the transfers and boost, and exhaust scavenging.

Now that has to be improved

Yeah Dillon said it better.

The treats reed kit is dramatic, if you put 4 petal reeds on it, it makes almost no difference, but if you port it a lil bit and add 4 petal, it goes from like low 50s to 60+ like woah.

Overpriced Parts /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Yeah Dillon said it better.

>

> The treats reed kit is dramatic, if you put 4 petal reeds on it, it

> makes almost no difference, but if you port it a lil bit and add 4

> petal, it goes from like low 50s to 60+ like woah.

That treats kit/Tomos kit is something else, you got to port it out a little bit but more specifically you have to base space it and deck the cylinder a few millimeters at least then it’s very blasty and works well with a 21mm PHPG around 96 jet and modded estoril,

The one I built for that Nick kid on here back in the day that finished every heat race on his magnum and came in fourth overall that’s all you had to do that to them but I don’t know about past few years if the kits need spacing and decking Because all I have been doing is basic piston port kits for people Who just want to keep up with traffic on 35-40mph roads

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account