Sealed bearings with inner spacer and...OUTER spacer??

If you press bearings into some mag hubs, some will not have a lip that the bearing od can seat into. That’s kinda shitty because then the bearing can float inside the hub and the wheel can actually walk to one side.. so the solution is to make an OD spacer (even if you use loctite)

There was a lip way down in the hub, so I added a od spacer that took up that room, and adapted it to be the same distance as the inner spacer. Wheel cannot walk to one side now.

FAE06BE3-CE31-44CA-B1D5-55A81C211102.jpeg
98A69F4D-F9CA-45E1-BCEC-1396CF49DADE.jpeg
CF874F17-E908-4E3E-B49E-1B43B233B95B.jpeg

Re: Sealed bearings with inner spacer and...OUTER spacer??

Man I was thinking about that my last hub conversion but I'm lazy

Great shit

I had the same problem, but hub had no inner lip inside.

Hub shell was steel, so found a piece of pipe that fit pretty tight inside, measured 50 times and cut it to fit. Used a pipe cutter for an exact slice.

Drilled four holes in each end and mig welded it to the shell from the inside. Had to make sure the holes were close enough to the ends so my welder had enough stick out.

Cut an inner spacer, slapped in the bearings and done.

Side note. Find a bearing warehouse. I use Eureka Bearing in Huntington Beach, near my house.

Bearings and seals are half what you'll pay at a moped store, and they can get anything. Like good SKF and FAG bearings. Bring the hub with you and let them measure it for you.

Baird, have you checked to see if your bearing supplier has those "rare" 29mm od x 12 mm id 6001 style bearings? Huntington Beach isn't too far from me....

Not sure. Call them up. Eureka bearing. They've either had everything I needed in stock, or ordered it in a few days.

I do eBay.

It’s cheaper and they often have new old stock so yeah. If I had one in town I’d go but they all went under.

todd amundson /

Isn't that big outer spacer for loosely centering the pre load spacer? Got them made of different materials mainly come in asian rims. The SSR Lazer wheels are like this. Their bushings are plastic. I found that if it's not in there you can't slide the axle through. Thought it was pretty much just a spacer.

You shouldn’t have to center the inner spacer as it should be tight between the inner races, however if you had to add an od spacer, if it were plastic you could make it fatter to hold the inner in a centered position. I bet that’s what they did. Pics?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I feel attacked

But also this is good information and should def be posted for future use

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account