So I finished. It's 2021 in a couple of hours. I posted something about 2020 being the year of the Ciao and I'm just making it. Some friends brought this Ciao to me four and a half years ago, maybe more. Apparently it came from a junkyard near a desert. It must of had a car parked on it.
The forks were folded, bars pretzeled, wheels squared rather than round. But it was complete. I started building this a year ago. Plan was to use as much of the original stuff as possible, hubs frame, seat, controls, electrics to keep the cost down. This is Vespa. If you wanna go quick it’s generally gonna cost a small fortune. At least I found it to do so.
I first had to straighten the frame and weld in a support plate. The right side of the frame was creased. These frames are kinda flimsy. De rusted the tank and Caswelled that sucker. The frame was cleared once I finished all the metal work. I only waxed the front fender as it wasn't straight the day I was painting. I knew I was going to add a crossbar but wanted it to be removable. I used a piece of aluminum tubing just like on my Cornflakes Derbi. It helps. The bikes stiff. On the road it’s a little too responsive. I’m slowly moving the bars back every other ride at full speed to see if it helps with jerkiness. I got the bars from Mike Bully for like ten bucks. BMX style. The knurled stay locations were wide so I had to find a 21.1mm quill stem in wide spread to rock them. While there are stems for BMX and shit that are like that, the cost of them is outrages. Even a $200 crusty one. I cut up the top yoke plate off a Maxi and made one.
I did have to purchase a quill extender to weld the Maxi plate to. Works as it should. The real jazzy jazz is how perfect the headlight bolts/fits to the Puch speedometer location. I did have to extend the ends of the bars a lot and make a new throttle tube basically to use those pro-grips. And you all know how shitty the stock Domino slide throttle is. I brazed a washer to the tube and am using a return spring made for late model tubes?
Not sure but there’s zero resistance on return now. Tried to stick with the original grey cables. Jezus, that harness was crunchy. But I did use all of it. And hell yes that horn works. I have a 12v lighting coil for Kinetic on the points case. Not sure of its output but it works fine. GY6 regulator in the headlight housing. I did convert the horn to 12 volt Kinetic installing it into the Ciao housing.
I moved the seat back maybe three inches. Its got that cool swinging post thing going on but it’s still a rigid so need to take it easy on crazy speed bumps. I did however try to make the best out of the EBR front end. It’s essentially a clone of the original swinger assembly. You just swap guts from your original fucked up forks. Even with the new EBR forks the front wheel has a list to one side still. The cast axle carriers have been opened to except a 12mm axle for sealed bearings. I made the damper mounts. The kit from Mo-parts is like $100 bucks and this cost me around $18. It’s incredible how well it works.
Wheels are Pro-Wheel 3’s, 17x1.40 aluminum hoops. First saw these on a certain raced out polini E50 from Sacremento. Those were gold. You can get them in just about any color. The spoke holes are big boy so I had to use spoke washers. The 36 original rear spokes I could use, but I had to cut and thread the 28 stainless spokes by hand for the front. These wheels are super light and you can buy them around $60 a piece. Tires are 2.00x17 VEE RUBBER.
The motor is more of an experiment. Seporn gave me one of those first generation bicycle reed blocks to mess with. I made a plate that it mounted to and welded it to the big case half. The charge shoots on top of the left side crank lobe.
Reeds are from a Dio. No stops, stainless helper fingers. Im using a Kinetic CDI/no curve, full circle 12 pin Malossi crank, Malossi Deps kit, Malossi Multi vare with belt. The case match required lots of epoxy. It’s the stock points case. Once the flywheel was installed it wouldn't spin because it hit the transfer buildup. That motor’s glued together. It’s good. The 21 Oko is drinking a 125 main. Oh, the carburetor only had use of just over half a tank via gravity. The Mikuni fuel pump actuates off of case vacuum. It’ll drain the tank if the bikes running.
The exhaust is the one that comes with the Simonini vespa motors when you buy the whole kit. I’m not impressed. I used the largest outlet flange that came with the DEPS kit and modified the exhaust header to fit.
No way your’e using pedals with this mounted to a Ciao. Needed a right side extender.
The right side of the kickstand needed to be cut off and made into an erector set for pipe clearance. The stock clutch was modded to fit two GY6 clutch arms. It’s real important to install the stock shoe bumpers when moving the scooter type clutch arms. There’s an administrator that'll tell you differently. Fuck that, it only involves moving a few posts.
Here's the two shoe with flat reed springs.
Because the shoes are flipped in this orientation the trailing edge of the shoe is opposite than your direction on a stock clutch or starter shoes. This allows for much weaker springs than you would think. I started with heavy duty and now I’m down to the weakest I could find. The current springs are stock Vespa Grande. Probably the nicest clutch Iv’e ever had. Fucking rips dick and stall is perfect. And it’s a two shoe. I’m currently working on a starter solution that doesn’t involve rope, one way bearings, electricity, kicking or starter shoes. I am using starter shoes now for starting. Pulleys are 100mm, yellow contra, front multi-var, 32 grams total. Belt slap is minimal if at all. Mosquito Fleet sticker for awesomeness. The speedo is currently working and counting miles. When I first received the bike it was working so it’s about to hit a true 1000. Shot way to close on an IPHONE 5. Happy 2020. My year of the Ciao.