1976 Vespa Caio Deluxe x2- New owner - City Build

Marco Scognamiglio /

Hey everyone! I just pick up TWO super clean Ciao Deluxe models. One needs some minor tank repairs but thats not what I want to focus on. I bought these scoots as an alterative to the $4k electric bikes and for some funky/cool factor. I want to use these scoots to cruise around my coastal city and also take them with me behind my RV while I travel. Stock they both run just find around 22 on flat as a high but struggle up hills. Anyways I want to go through the scoots and freshen them up. Figured Id do a top end and while doing that some basic bolt on upgrades. My goal for the "builds" is torque for hill climbs and honestly id like to keep the noise down on the scoots also. So I am very nervous about throwing on some of these massive expansion chambers and tiny mufflers.

This is what I have planned to order shortly:

Polini 43mm kit (I've read its bolt on and not case matching, which is good as I don't want to do that)

Polini 13.13 carb with high flow air filter ( no idea what jets I need)

For exhaust I was looking at the "vespa piaggio CIAO SI circuit shitter exhaust pipe" which is an expansion chamber and a very stock looking muffler. Which I like and again hoping its as quiet as possible. Can be found here https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=vespa%2Dsito%2Dsi%2Dshitter%2Dpipe&CartID=3

Do I need to do any clutch work with this setup?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance and ill post up some pics soon!

Re: 1976 Vespa Caio Deluxe x2- New owner - City Build

todd amundson /

Number one please stop calling them scoots

Lol, we used to be at war wIth scooter. People here REALLY hated them. As mopeds are superior in our twisted minds.

Don't worry bout it, it's still fresh in some people's minds.lol

But yeah call them mopeds....anyway

The 13/13 ain't gonna help much if you don't bore out the intake and patch to match the carb. Some Vespa bikes here had intakes as small as 7mm!! Soo yeah might wanna check that out.

Also, you need to rebuild your bottom end, or at the very least new crank seals.

You should just do the port matching. 1/2 hour with a dremel, c'mon man.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Swap out the polini 43mm for a DR 43mm, and add on matches heads for both.

You're going to want to rebuild both bottom ends, as Aaron said. Pulling the motors to do the top end and not servicing the bearings and seals in these VERY simple motors is criminal. While in there, there is power to be gained from porting the intake patch, but if you're just trying to be mild, don't bother trying to drill the intake open for what ends up being less than a mm gain. The patch is really where the power is.

You're going to also need to tune your clutches and variator, and while you're at it probably want to swap to an aftermarket variator with tunable weights.

That exhaust you chose is going to be load, as are any circuit pipe. If you're going for quite, get the Gianelli stock+ pipe on treats, pulls great, very linear power.

There's a lot of reading to be done here, so use the search function, look at some past threads, and post a picture of your bikes. Even labelled as "Deluxes" they may have been swapped to single speed which will change certain things, as well as explain why they're only going 22mph right now.

I agree with the Gianelli stock+ or something similar will have a less offensive sound for cruising through the rv park (a lot of pipes are pretty obnoxious, even the small expansion chambers like the lil' shitter).

If you are single speed, it is possible you could go another route. Get Polini Speed Cases or bore the stock cases to fit a 46mm Pinasco or 46.5 Mallossi.

^Not going to pull like a variated bike, but depending on the weight of the rider it will get around just fine.

For single speed there are also some options for larger rear pulleys, lighter front pulleys, lighter clutch pads, stiffer springs... (Don't go crazy with the stiff springs)

If you stay single speed the lighter factory flywheel makes a big difference. Many single speed Citta, a CBA, and some other late model single speed bikes I have had came with this from the factory.

Some of this info may help: Rider weight, target top speed, whether or not is variated-if not are you willing to spend the money and do the work to install a variator?, what grade hills are you trying to tackle-do you want to maintain speed or just be able to make it to the top, are you willing to rebuild the motor/match transfers/open the intake patch....

Marco Scognamiglio /

Hey all,

First off WOW! What a wealth of info! I really really appreciate it.

Sounds like it is worth it to pull the motor and tear here completely down. I am going to have to dig around for some sort of service manual.

So 13.13 carb, Dr43 plus matching heads, Gianelli stock+ pipe as it's less offense, ported and matched and possible variable speed upgrade.

My Ciao's are most definitely single speeds. Ill start digging around a d finding info on how to do the swap.

Here are some pics below, you can see I have some tank repairs to do on one as the previous owner but out some small rusty areas. I have a Vespa mechanic friend that does restorations on vespas and says it's possible to fix. We will see! If not I'll try to find a donor frame.

IMG_20210109_162707.jpg
IMG_20210109_162721.jpg
IMG_20210109_162726.jpg

Marco Scognamiglio /

Last one for now.

IMG_20210109_162701.jpg

Marco Scognamiglio /

> Declan g Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Some of this info may help: Rider weight, target top speed, whether or

> not is variated-if not are you willing to spend the money and do the

> work to install a variator?, what grade hills are you trying to

> tackle-do you want to maintain speed or just be able to make it to the

> top, are you willing to rebuild the motor/match transfers/open the

> intake patch....

A 120 pounder and a 200 pounder will be riding these mopeds.

Currently single speed and open to variable if it's not a huge pain.

Maintain speed wound be ideal but not looking for really anything more than 25-30. I'd be happy at 20 all day long.

I'll be pulling the motor to get a better look at the condition of the motor and will split the cases now for new bearings and will read up on how to port and match.

Marco Scognamiglio /

OH! Does anyone know what the "SC" stands for on the rear fender of these mopeds? I have noticed that they seems to be on all the Ciao's I see around.

Marco Scognamiglio /

> Declan g Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with the Gianelli stock+ or something similar will have a less

> offensive sound for cruising through the rv park (a lot of pipes are

> pretty obnoxious, even the small expansion chambers like the lil'

> shitter).

>

> If you are single speed, it is possible you could go another route. Get

> Polini Speed Cases or bore the stock cases to fit a 46mm Pinasco or 46.5

> Mallossi.

I was reading that the speed cases are meant to be pared with CDI vs Points. Know if there are any real big gains of running CDI vs points?

Thanks!

Cdi costs more money unless you already have a Cdi, but you could then spend more money to get a lighter flywheel.

If you are building these bikes to ride together you may need slightly different builds considering the difference in rider weight.

If you are going to tear down the motor and choose a 43mm kit to match transfers you should be able to have no problem hitting upper 30s with a single speed and still be able to tackle hills. To hang together maybe variate one, even with stock parts.

Can you speak more on the value of the lighter flywheel for single speed Vespa? Thnx

Most of the later model single speed mopeds I have seen use the lighter flywheel. The heavier flywheel is really freaking heavy. Lighter flywheel is snappier off the line, doesn't compare to a variate do setup, but it helps you get going a bit quicker.

Got it...I feel like I get better RPMs with that setup(maybe not off the line, but lows/mids for sure). I've also heard that heavier flywheels create more torque? Dunno on that one

Hey.... my Ciao has SC on the rear fender too....I thought it might have been a South Carolina thing but it does not look to be. I am curious now 🤔

According to Myrons Mopeds it means, "ciao Special", "ciao super", or "ciao supreme". Frame number really gives you more infer matin, but the sc would indicate that it has a certain type of suspension, fenders...

Interesting. Odd place for a child’s gum-ball machine stickers to mean something, but I finds like it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account