Pinto RR

Carlos Campiglia /

Hi All, newbie here. This is my mild restored/modded 78 Pinto RR. I'm hitting 35Mph on my top end. Does that make sense with my setup?

Now my take off it is scary slow for where I live... Any advice?

Setup:

Engine and Cylinder totally stock from the 7O's . ( just fresh oil)

15mm Bing, w Grandpa 15 intake and mesh filter.

Proma Circuit Exhaust.

Main 68, Neddle 9,17 ( I can swear is a 9) 3rd top notch.

plug reads seems on the spot with a nice uniform sun tan color.

Gearing is stock 14/45

001.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Re: Pinto RR

You will want to tune your clutch. You can try kickstart springs, maybe flush at first since you have a stock cylinder and work your way in if needed, no more than 3 turns from flush.

Also, if you haven't yet, you will want to service your ignition components and set your points and timing, as they may have gone out of spec after many miles/years.

Most use a 2.17 atomizer with a 15 bing. Are you sure it reads 9.17?

Also, just a tip, when you wrap an exhaust you should wrap from the back to the front so that wind and road debris don't get caught in the folds and cause it to become loose and come off. (edited)

When you say “sun tan color” what shade we talking? Cause my sun tanned skin would be lean as hell.

14x45 gearing and that pipe should have plenty of low end grunt off the line.

35 is pretty fast for stock so you are good there. Clutch tuning is what will help most now. There are also springs just a little less firm than the kickstart ones. They are ESB brand I think and are black. They made a huge difference in my takeoff and I am a big guy and riding a magnum which is almost twice the weight of that pinto.

Carlos Campiglia /

Thank you Chris. That is what I thought with the clutch.

Weird think with the needle but it does say 9,17. Maybe my eyes are fooling me.

Carlos Campiglia /

Yes a little on the lean side for a two strokes I guess.

Carlos Campiglia /

Agree. Jay I've been looking also the blue springs. But I think the black as you said are better. Now that I'll have to remove the clutch, should I also add new shoes and a brace? Can't seem to find a good one.

Thank you all for your answers.

Post pics of the clutch shoes when you get the clutch out and we can let you know if they need to be replaced or not. Also you won't need a brace as long as you do not lighten the shoes or remove the stop pins.

Also post a pic of the # on the atomizer

If you have a 2 shoe leave it alone aside from maybe adding a brace. I bet it will still be pretty good since it has stayed stock until now. If you have a three shoe, definitely brace it and consider finding a OEM 2 shoe.

Carlos Campiglia /

O.k. sounds like a plan I'll be back in a couple of weeks with the pictures of the clutch.

Carlos Campiglia /

wait!!!. Jay that means that the 2 shoes are sturdier that the 3???

Generally 2-shoes are better than the 3-shoe clutches yes. And while you're in there get rid of the atf fluid and run straight 10w30 synthetic motor oil in your gearbox.

Carlos Campiglia /

Thank you Thomas.

Now I'm wondering ... What are the pros of Synthetic oil? And also is 10W30 good for a very a very hot weather like South Florida?

Yes 10w30 is better with heat than the ATF is. You can try going a little lighter in Weight, like a 0w30 but it probably wont make much difference. I run full synthetic 10w30

And the 2 shoe is better than the 3 shoe for a few reasons. Mostly that it is easier to get the 2 arms to grab at the same time than to get 3 arms. If the 3 arms are off by too much you can cause stress on the arms that grab first and they can break or at the very least cause very uneven wearing on the pads and then it wont function at all.

The jammer clutches uses a 3 shoe setup but the way those grab the clutch bell is different and they have a lot more surface to grab than the stock 3 shoes. The KTM clutches are only 2 shoe and are the most used in Euro moped racing.

Once you start getting into clutch tuning the shit starts getting real. Real annoying. Ha!

Carlos Campiglia /

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Once you start getting into clutch tuning the shit starts getting real.

> Real annoying. Ha!

LOL ... Shit. I'm also overwhelmed reading about mild porting the stock cylinder.

I wish I could get maybe 40-45 Mph top and a decent take off with the stock cylinder. That's it, I don't need more...

You are gonna need to do some really serious port work to get there with any kind of quickness on a stock 50cc cyl. If you get a 70cc tccd from treats or 70cc dmp from dos cycles you would be at 45 just bolting it on and tuning it so it doesnt seize.

Carlos Campiglia /

True. Let me keep my expectations low and see how much gain I'm able to get with a mild porting. That experience will for sure help if I add a kit in the future.

Yes I always think you should learn as much as possible about a stock running bike before attempting a kit.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account