moby vari conversion and last few questions.

what all do i need parts wise and which variator do i need to convert from single speed?

also, ive ordered the le party cdi, 70cc airsal, budget race crank (and new bearings) i have a 15

15 with shorty intake. what else do i need to put this together? (outside of jets, gaskets, head)?

and whats a good pipe to smack on this. im not looking to build a blaster. just a 40-45mph rohnd town ripper.

Re: moby vari conversion and last few questions.

The little moby pipes don’t do shit.

You need a big beefy boy.

If they sell a circuit style that bolts to the engine that’s a good option.

You’ll also need a launch lever but you can make that probably.

If you’re handy you should mod a hobbit proma or similar to fit (edited)

Proma is a great idea, I had a chopped up tomos tecno circuit on my stock 103 and it was great.

I just got that alsil mini circuit shitter from DOS and it actually looks pretty good. Restricted AF but the chamber is pretty nice.

jbot inwas lookin at the doppler is that beefy enough? also, whats a launch lever? ive never had a variated bike just sachs, e50, and v1s

nevermind i looked up launch lever. got it i thI nk? just give it a lil extra oomph off the line essentially?

Don’t get the doppler, it’s loud, low and lose pedals and/or kickstand. The stock exhaust is fine with a kit. And if you’re just looking for 40 with good take off I bet the single speed set up would rip with a 45mm kit (edited)

Downtown Seattle hills with a one speed kitted moby could work if you gear for it. The stock exhaust would have to be modded as the stinger is super small and would heat up the cyl a lot on big hills. I hate modded stock moby exhaust as they are loud af with minimal gains.

Doppler is pretty much the only decent powerful available option besides the mlm pipe.

A hack n weld circuit could be baller.

A launch lever just allows you to stop variation keep a lower gearing for hills if your bike needs it.

word. i really wanna variate it. would it but worth just putting a stock variator on? or should i go with something a bit more tuneable? and what all do i need is the stock pulley okay? and dont i need to replace the bottom spring? and last but not least would i order the clurch or non clutch lokkin at the er2 but not opposed to stock variator

Troy, did you get a new nut for the cdi? You have to replace the novi with a differnt stupid special nut and make sure you get the correct thread pitch and direction for the crank you got. Also, the woodruff key on that crank cdi combo lines up perfectly for 1.5mm btdc and makes timing stupid easy. You can run the stock head, all the aftermarket options put your compression over 200psi and really fuck shit up. I think you got basically everything, I would probably replace the motor mounts and brakes too.

Jbot, he has a sim hi-flow moby pipe and it actually scoots pretty good in the hi rpms.

I'm gonna say dont do the clackmaster er2/3. it is a fucking pain in the dick unless you rig up a pull start or spend $$$ on a kickstart unit. The stock variator is fine with kitted and mild piped bikes, it is moderately tunable if you get a 4 ball guide and actually tuneable if you get a varplus. I usually don't bother with the varplus because it requires removing several annoying circlips.

still need to order the nut. forgot about that. ordered the other nut like a fool. was gunna wait to smack everythkng together til i have everything to full build. i have the 70cc airsal kit, new front brakes, new motor mounts, le party cdi, crank bearings, seal kit for stock av7, puller and micrometer. you think i should keep stock head and the current pipe? and should i case match or port anything or just bolt up and brap? im sure ill be calling and harrassing you guys once everything shows up.

I would do a bigger head. I despise the stock head especially with a kit.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just got that alsil mini circuit shitter from DOS and it actually

> looks pretty good. Restricted AF but the chamber is pretty nice.

I was curious about that. I was staring at it for a long time yesterday.

Any suggestions on a better head for a moby? I’ll wait.

I wouldn’t bother with porting or or case matching. Just get it together nice and tight, the spi seals are a bit of a pain if you are trying to hammer them in instead pressing them. I have a hydraulic press and a tool for installing them you are welcome to use.

Naz over at cycle fab is also a moby master and would probably assemble it and turn your head for 70cc if you ask real nice and bring good beer.

appreciate the offer man ill def hit ya up when ive collected enough goodies! and i will def hit up cycle fab as well.

I thought the polini moby head was decent enough with a lil bit of work. More cooling for sure.

anyone know what size woodruff i need for the crank/cdi?

No woodruff, gotta time it by hand

Graham, on the moriyama(le partie) there is a key way and the cheap cranks that treats sells have are keyed to 1.5mm by dc. I don’t remember the size you might be able to find one at the hardware store, but I feel like the one I used was long and skinny. I mean you don’t really need it, but it is nice to just plop the flywheel on there.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, do they time correctly when you use a key?

They still don't have any adjustments for timing so that would freak me out unless it just happens to be perfect

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I thought the polini moby head was decent enough with a lil bit of work.

> More cooling for sure.

Im a fan of this head, and the Parma, but no dcmop on ye olde Parma, which is fine since it prevents leaks, but also makes the bike kinda hard to start

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account