Minarelli build input

I’ve never had an engine apart before, but I figure it’s time. I bought a motron and finally got it running and rolling (bad wheel bearing when I got it). The weather sucks and will suck for awhile, I told my son these peds would be our projects....so what the hell, let’s open ‘er up.

End goal isn’t for top speed, we’ll be riding gravel roads about 95% of the time. But I’d like to be able to easily maintain 35-ish MPH on level ground. The roads are hilly, not mountains, but hills none the less...I want this to pull hills without issue.

I’m looking for some insight on how far, how much I’ll need to do. Is a simple carb/intake/exhaust enough for what I want, or should I be looking for a kit?

Also, the wiki page on disassembly/reassembly on this engine has links to the minarelli shop manual...neither link works. Is there another web source?

Re: Minarelli build input

You could certainly hit 35mph on a stock cylinder. But you will probably be more happy with a 47mm polini.

-47mm Polini

-Pipe (circuit, estoril, mlm, cranks....) Buy something decent that fits your budget.

-You could use the stock carb or 15.15 sha, but an 18-20mm mikuni or phbg will be nicer

Google "Minarelli V1 manual." Find "Marty's garage," should be first link. PDF download works for me. I can't link it because my phone won't let me.

You can make a completely stock V1 do 35 with just tuning and gearing. Add a pipe, like a Proma circuit, and it should be good for cruising around and climbing hills.

Polini is the best kit for just slap on and go. Anyone competent with tools can install it in an hour or so. According to polini, you'll go from stock HP of 1.9 to 5 something. And it's a reliable kit. You can beat the hell out of it and it won't blow up.

Other than that, everything else is limited to how deep you wanna get involved, and how much you wanna spend.

Add a polini CP 19mm carb, do some porting, play with your clutch springs, etc, etc, and you can have a 50+ bike that still rips up hills.

As others said you can make a stock cylinder do 35 but not with good hill climbing torque. A polini is a must. As also stated a decent circuit pipe will get you to 35 pretty easy. Your gearing has alot to do with speed and power. If you keep the gearing pretty stock you will rip up to 35 pretty fast and can climb any hill.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Yup, you can go nuts later on if you want but a fun little project for y'all would be to split the motors, rebuild em, open up the ports to match the polini kit.

Then if you ever want to do anything crazier, your bottom end is all good and you won't need to take it apart

I guess I’ll order the polini kit whenever they’re back in stock. As for pipe, I’m converting this to a top tank, have to see what’s gonna look right.

Thanks for the input, looks like everyone is in agreement

Email Dos Cycles, I imagine they have some Polini in stock, they don't always have the website updated.

There's always some on eBay.

Ugh, fuck eBay. Nothing in the states....expensive!

Now for what may be a stupid question...will I need a new head?

Buy from a stateside moped shop, Treats or Dos Cycles will have everything you need. I am pretty sure if you email Dos they have Polini kits in stock. A stock head on the Polini will be fine, but there are heads sold that are modified specifically for the piston profile/cylinder bore.

I think the stock head works the best. I've tried the modified Airsal one, and it sucked. Like, way lower compression and 10mph slower, sucked.

And it's no me. I know what I'm doing. It's the head. Sucked.

You can run the stock head with no head gasket with no problems, it'll seal right up and give you more compression.

Oh yeah, make sure you check your head, because the original head gasket has probably become one with head, and used a cloak of invisibility to hide from you. But it's there. It's always there. Poke it with a Stanley knife and you'll see...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

So far my favorite head has been the modified BRN Garelli head

Dos and treats have both said there are no polini kits in stock. Dos went on to say they don’t expect to have any until mid-February. They do have the parmakit in stock....any thoughts on that? If I’m better off waiting, I can do that.

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=polini%2Dscoot%2Dcylinder%2D166%2E0076&CartID=7

Any difference between these 2kits, other than a head? Will both work for me just the same?

https://www.treatland.tv/minarelli-polini-80cc-cylinder-kit-p/minarelli-polini-kit-133.0072.htm

One is available now, looks like I’ll have to wait awhile on the other

Yeah, big difference. The first one is for vertical, more modern engines, mostly found on scooters. It won't fit a V1 at all.

I have a polini I could sell, shoot me a dm. Used, but low miles. Or if you decide to go with the Parma I may have a spare head that has been cut specifically for the Parma. The Parma cannot use the stock up modified head.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account