DR 70cc ring gap...do I need to check this?

Matt Grantonic /

I have a new DR kit purchased from Treats I'll be installing on my Urban Express. I was informed about checking the ring gap but haven't seen much talk about this. My question, is this something I need to check and if so, how is this done?

Thanks, Matt

Re: DR 70cc ring gap...do I need to check this?

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

Do you want the build to last 100 miles or 3000? Minimum effort should include softening all the edges on the piston skirt and ports with 400 grit & gapping the rings. Plenty of info in the WIKI and threads if you search for it.

Yes you do

Insert the ring into the bore, just the ring. Push it in with the piston so it's flat in the bore. Stock a feeler gauge in the gap to see what size it is.

read this maybe

Jack Rutherford /

how long will it take to check?

I have a Batavus m48 that a Previous owner built up. It'll do 50. Kits do not just bolt on. One day my girlfriend was riding it and bam it dies violently. Dude didn't gap the rings and the one locating pin in the piston decided it was time to eject. He spent so many hours building that bike and didn't spend the 4 minutes it took to gap the rings, fucking his whole build over. I was able to modify another kit to fit but it was such a pain in the ass when the only reason it blew up is someone before not gapping the rings.

Yeah you definately need to gap the ring(s) on any kit you slap on. I always do this when kitting and yes doing this will help keep your new kit from blowing up

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account