Re: 4 or 6 port cylinder better for torque? (50cc)

Treatland used have a Puch exhaust that was an expansion chamber inside the regular puch maxi exhaust. Reviews were pretty good.

> Full Tuck Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Treatland used have a Puch exhaust that was an expansion chamber inside

> the regular puch maxi exhaust. Reviews were pretty good.

I have such an exhaust for my other Puch engined moped. Its this one.

Maybe I'll try how it works on the Maxi too. And compare it to the Cigar RS I ordered for the Maxi. (edited)

Here in the US, Those are both puch magnum exhaust pipes.

Looks like this

Well they can market them any way they like. Here in Europe cigar type is generally used in any old step through type of moped - even from factory.

But, RS Cigar is sold for Maxi E50.

Cant beat that pipe for the price. 28mm header is upgrade for sure.

I inventoried my 28mm mufflers/pipes and I have 70mm Swiing resonance cigar, 60mm cigar, Biturbo and the RS Cigar coming. So, I am sure one of them will be ok. The 2 first cigars are general models so they have a clamp which can be put to correct spot so they bolt on to Maxi. The RS should be direct bolt on. The Biturbo is to the wrong side and doesn't IMO fit the style.

The pipe on the Maxi now is a no name 22mm header + expansion chamber pipe.

I suspect the Swiing should be the best one. Too bad they are so expensive. Mofakult has this stupid deal with DHL which makes everything very expensive. On top of the shipping cost DHL charges me ~70€ extra for doing some paperwork and I cannot opt out of it to do my own customs etc. stuff which really takes only 5 minutes. I bet Mofakult loses a lots of EU business because of that. So, the Swiing is when everything (also import taxes from outside EU) is paid about 250€ ($300) muffler. Its actually cheaper to order stuff from Treats. (edited)

Which has more low end torque 4/6 port is the wrong question? It has to do with port heights and those can be somewhat adjusted. I've only run the 70 tccd 6 port, torquey low end but dies out on the top end but....if the exhaust port was raised it would move the power band higher.

On a side note, funny how regulation is dictating price by controlling the market. So a stock open port is 150 while a Metrakit is 100, terrible, but you can get the tccd for 50, thats nice.

Why dont you just ask someone here to send you a crate of high torque cyinders from across the pond. (edited)

> Why dont you just ask someone here to send you a crate of high torque cyinders from across the pond.

We have no shortage of cylinders in Yurup. Seems like the selection is pretty good here compared to for example Treats and dozens of stores all around EU to choose from. And cheaper too. Don't see point in ordering them from States.

Or are you talking about some cylinders which are not available from stores? What are the best known high torque cylinders then?

I'll order a kit in few days when I get something sorted out. But first I will take the stock cylinder out and see what I have in there. In the last 30 years hopefully somebody took the restrictions out.

Overpriced Parts /

> Tweaker trash Wrote:

> Let us never forget, that freedom has never been, nor will it ever be

> free. It's worth fighting for, it's worth dying for. Let us always

> remember, America is indeed, the land of the free because of the brave.

>

> Now get on ur 70cc moped and flip that cop off

He is not from the USA silly

Yeah, like there is no speed limits, other traffic laws or cops harassing motorists in USA. ;) I dare you to flip off the next cop off who stops you for breaking any traffic law. :D

I've only once encountered a cop in my many travels in USA. That was back in the 80's in Stamford, CT when I was about 15. We skateboarded inside a mall and this cop shouted us to stop and when I did and turned around he was standing there raging, standing in Isosceles position with his hand on his holstered revolver like he was ready to draw. We took the hint, apologized and walked away. ;)

Anyways, back to topic. Expecting my first Maxi-parts order from Puchshop today. No, go fast parts in this order but mostly service parts like gaskets, plugs, bolts and nuts, grips, chain and sprockets, headlight and bulbs etc.

Man, if you think you are actually free!

In fact Finland (and most wester/central/nordic European countries) beat USA in freedom ranking. 2021 in personal freedom USA ranks 26th in the world, Finland is number 4. Might come as a shock after hearing the freedom thing all your life but oh well, its not like we foreigners care about your freedoms or lack of them. We have our own.

But,please continue on this subject in off topic and lets talk about Puch mods here. Thanks.

sad to see the myth of america being #1 fail in the face of the world, and yes we are all movie stars.

Higher compression = more torque.

/\ listen to The Man.

Just an update: I chose and ordered the Power One 50cc 6-port cylinder and Streetpro head, extra piston rings, extra gaskets, stiffer clutch springs, clutch puller, NGK spark plugs etc.

The 28mm RS Cigar pipe, new chain + sprockets, YSS Pro-X rear shocks etc. arrived earlier this week.

And its -19°C outside (-2.2F, 254.1K). :( (edited)

Sounds like fun. Show us a video when she is all buttoned up.

> Sounds like fun. Show us a video when she is all buttoned up.

Yeah, I will.

Took the "stock" cylinder off. Not what I was expecting. Both head and cylinder are Puch but the cylinder doesn't have the kind of restrictions I've seen in other 1hp cylinders. Maybe they were removed or this is not a 1hp cylinder. I don't see any marks which would indicate there ever was restrictions though.

Both intake and exhaust ports are round on the outside. Intake 15mm and exhaust 19.5mm. The intake port to the cylinder is oval measuring about 22x9mm and the exhaust port also oval about 19.5x8.5mm. Ports are not centered vertically when looking in to the ports but they are a bit lower. To me this looks like a "high" torque cylinder because of the port shape.

The cylinder has a big number "22" on it and also very small stamped flag with 104 in it.

The head is clearly not high compression. Also has a Puch logo on it.

So, is this a stock 1.5/2.0 hp cylinder or what?

Puch intake.jpg
Puch exhaust.jpg

And top/bottom:

Puch top.jpg
Puch bottom.jpg

Yeah that's what we call 'hi-torque' here in the states. 22 is actually the best stock maxi cylinder, they were originally fitted with a dykes-ring piston and a 14mm carb on the top market 'sport 2 hp'models.

They can be ported but I think the 'old style' aluminum/chrome bore cylinders are easier to get going fast.

Ok, thanks for the id and info.

I think I'll store it as is and go with the 6-port and high comp head.

And them motorparts arrived...

Now I just hope the spring really arrives. Its still -15°C outside so skiing is more appropriate than moped tuning... ;)

Power One 6-port-3.jpg
Power One 6-port-2.jpg

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Yeah that's what we call 'hi-torque' here in the states. 22 is actually

> the best stock maxi cylinder, they were originally fitted with a

> dykes-ring piston and a 14mm carb on the top market 'sport 2 hp'models.

>

> They can be ported but I think the 'old style' aluminum/chrome bore

> cylinders are easier to get going fast.

Exactly! Those can be ported to make great power definitely my favorite one to mess with! Definitely keep it and maybe try porting it. Would be a good backup to have kicking around.

Puch Maxis are so rare in my country that I have never before seen one IRL. Also E50 motors are rare, I think only 1 moped model was ever sold here with it. Every single one of those were kickstarts as pedals became non mandatory already 50 years ago. So, E50 parts are quite rare locally, most must be ordered from abroads but luckily they are quite cheap to buy. I think I leave the Puch cylinder and head untouched and play with the aftermarket stuff.

Here is the #22 cylinder vs the Power One 6-port cylinder with the same gasket:

Tweaker trash /

Torque is hp / hp is torque

“ my motor doesn’t make much hp but it’s a torque monster”

Well, torque is actually measured, hp is calculated from torque and rpm. And yes, its possible to have a motor which has good usable low/mid torque but not so much peak horsepower.

Make sure to do a case match to take advantage of the larger transfers on that kit.

Sure! 😎

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account