1947 Motoconfort Scout

James De Ath /

So I´ve got myself a Motoconfort Scout 50cc from (probably) the late 1940s. Girder forks and a rigid frame. Originally it had a separate 2 speed gearbox. Not sure how much power these made originally, but I doubt it was more than about 2hp. Mine is a total barn find - lots of French farmer style repairs, three paintjobs and generally ridden into the ground.

Rather than scouring France for original parts, to end up with something very slow, I thought I´d try and fit an MBK AV10 motor, so I could have some tuning parts and general spares availability. I´m still working on making the motor pivot, so i can use a variateur. This is tough as I can´t hang the motor, as it is in an MBK 51, I will try and make it pivot from below instead. I also needed to find room for the pulley, as the bike never had one originally. It´s a bit of a juggling act trying to work out alignment and I had to remake part of the frame to get some clearance.

I also decided to use 26" wheels on it, instead of the oddball original size, as there aren´t too many tyres available in a 600A. The new wheels are a bit bigger and bulk the bike up a bit. Fat tyres will probably help the ride too. I found some better hubs and alloy delivery bike rims and thick stainless spokes and built the wheels myself. Not done it before, but it came out pretty well.

I need to source a carb and exhaust, to see how i´m going to fit it all into the frame. I bought a brand new AV10 motor and I´ll probably end up using a Doppler exhaust, because it´s pretty straight and has the rotator at the head, which should be really useful for lining it up. My question was, what would be a good carb and inlet to use with a stock motor and this exhaust? I´ll quite likely do some more tuning on the motor later on, so I´d like to keep whatever carb I buy. Something that would maybe work with a 70cc kit later, if needed, would be good. Any suggestions?

IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3794.JPG
20210124_192142.jpg

Re: 1947 Motoconfort Scout

It’s kinda a shame that you changed it so much. It looks like a modern motorized bike kit wanna be vintage now :(

The original lines were amazing

A 15-16mm carb would be good but the exhaust is going to depend on how it swings. Either do a ball joint hanging pipe or mount a rigid pipe that attaches to the engine directly but you’d likely have to modify one or hack n weld something together

James De Ath /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It’s kinda a shame that you changed it so much. It looks like a modern

> motorized bike kit wanna be vintage now :(

>

> The original lines were amazing

Errrr...... I haven´t changed it much at all, so I'm not really sure what you mean. Anyway, don´t judge it yet, it´s far from finished. I´ll be refitting mudguards and the correct luggage rack and painting it an old timey colour. It needs to look original so I can avoid any hassle from the Polizei (I´m in Germany).

I´ve seen 17.5mm carbs....would that be too big for a stock cylinder 50? (edited)

You could do it. It’ll run fine.

The stock reeds limit to about 16mm I think.

Yeah it’s just in the US 26in wheels just are so common and give a shitty aesthetic. But yeah I get it. You do what ya do. The stock look was just so unusual and nice

What’s the original size of wheels

James De Ath /

The originals are 600A size, which is only commonly used on wheelchairs as far as I can find out. It´s just for tyre availability more than anything. The original rims where junk, along with the hubs, brakes, engine, gearbox and exhaust. It´s not like I ruined anything. I want something I can use.

Thanks for the advice!

541 iso for the 600a vs 559 iso for 26", so it's the closest available size. Schwalbe does have some e-bike rated tires in 26".

I’m probably wrong completely, I’ll wait to see the end result. Good luck

600-55c is 24x2.25. you can get 100s of bicycle tires for it, but there are a few motorcycle tires available. Here's one:

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/chambrier-24x2-25-600x55c

Personally, I'd restore it, and find something not so rare to butcher to go fast. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Good luck.

James De Ath /

> baird co Wrote:

> Personally, I'd restore it, and find something not so rare to butcher to

> go fast.

Butcher? Did you look at the "before" pictures!? I was specifically looking for one that nobody else would have bothered to save. As an example of the state of it, when I took the gearbox out, lumps of the casing stayed in the frame. As for restoring it, it´s just not worth it. These bikes aren`t particularly rare here and even in decent condition they aren´t worth much - you can get a nice restored one for 1500 euros. It would have made far more sense to just go and buy one of those, but I wanted something to build.

IMG_3818.JPG

^hold on a second, as long as you purposely bought it just for the frame/ forks you have to state that before you throw the rest away, i was as others were digging the badass og/patina look and seriously puked at your 3rd picture.

Its your bike do whatever you want, thanks for sharing the og look.

James De Ath /

I´m kind of amazed at some of the responses i´m getting here. I thought this was a modification based forum for tuning and so on? Why are you so offended at my bike for having 2" bigger wheels and a motor that actually runs? Do I see anyone having a dig at the guy with the totally custom frame on the other thread, for "ruining" his bike?

There was no "OG patina" on it, just three paint jobs, the last of which looked like a child did it with a yard brush. Why would i ever want to "preserve" that?

What did you think? That I could just throw a bit of fuel in it and ride it? Look at it!

I dream of being able to buy a bike like that to restore originally. Looked totally restorable to me...

That would sell for 10k or more right now in the usa running. Probably over 2k as is for wall art. It's a post wwII vintage motorcycle. Big deal here

over the next 20 years the value of the original bike will increase exponentialy. Modified not Soo much. Basically the same thing what people in the usa did with rare 60's cars in the 70's. Modify them and all value is lost...Dusenburgs with ford v8's etc. But yeah, it's your bike do whatever you want.

I do think that it went from beautiful to ugly ....but whatever, I can't buy a bike like that affordably so my opinion is moot. We put more value on bikes of a certain age than you do, that's FINE. Nobody here is worried about modding a shitty 70's moped because it had no value to begin with really.

If we could get stuff that old our opinions would likely align with yours. (edited)

I'd probably go with a hard mounted av10 with a modified dimoby clutch and a chain instead of a variator pulley set up. Starting it is gonna be interesting either way without pedals. Suppose you could use a Moby kickstart setup but that I giant ugly chunk of plastic...

Or just use a strip of leather around the magneto like an old outboard boat motor

> James De Ath Wrote:

> I´m kind of amazed at some of the responses i´m getting here. I thought

> this was a modification based forum for tuning and so on? Why are you so

> offended at my bike for having 2" bigger wheels and a motor that

> actually runs? Do I see anyone having a dig at the guy with the totally

> custom frame on the other thread, for "ruining" his bike?

>

> There was no "OG patina" on it, just three paint jobs, the last of which

> looked like a child did it with a yard brush. Why would i ever want to

> "preserve" that?

>

> What did you think? That I could just throw a bit of fuel in it and ride

> it? Look at it!

Haters gonna hate, personally I would be trying to keep it as original as possible.

Yeah, we build custom bikes and we also save rare bikes that are super fucked. I got this Magnum LTD even though the PO had seriously fucked with it and it sat in the woods for 30 years or so, and I'm working on getting it as close to factory finish as I can manage.

The vast majority of people here are building custom bikes based off of bikes that people literally threw away in the 80's/90's, not almost complete post-war examples. There is a big difference between building a ratted out 30 year old bike they produced millions of and a building a 74 year old bike that are few and far between. At the very least, please keep all of the parts you take off. I have seen rare bikes for sale with custom work done that would be worth 2-4 times as much if they just had the original parts with them.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I don't understand everyone harping on this dude.

That two-speed remote box is a whack design, but given the side of the pond you're on, I might have looked for the 5-speed alternative and given it a boost.

Either way, cool bike.

I think the responses are just sad because of the over abundance of wanna be modern boardtrack style bikes in the USA that have no soul and always 26in wheels. They’re everywhere, every time I see 26in wheels a little part of me dies. USA is land of 26 and I hate it

James De Ath /

Hmmm....okay it seems like it´s maybe a perspective thing, depending on which side of the Atlantic you´re on.

As I said, these aren´t worth a lot of money here, nor are they super rare. Not trying to piss you guys off, but...

https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1894348564.htm?ac=206978287

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/1604310864.htm?ac=206978287

https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1890363120.htm?ac=206978287

I think they´re cheap probably because there really don´t seem to be any spare parts beyond what you can scrounge up used (up) and because they are pretty lousy as a means of transport. It´s really a motorised bicycle.

Take a look at this skinny French guy on youtube....take particular note of the bit where he´s pushing it up a hill....

That might be all part of the fun to some of you, but not for me. And I´m twice the size of him!

I doubt that I´m devaluing it against the price of a restored one. People used to say that to the hot rodders with Model A Fords, but a rodded car can be worth a lot more than a restoration nowadays.

Didn´t really know about the whole faux boardtracker thing being such a big deal over there. Don´t see anything like that around here, aside from a few of those silly cruiser bicycles. I´ll do anything I can to avoid having it look like one of them. No skulls, spikes or iron crosses.

I might yet fit pedals to it to start it. Or a kick box, though those aren´t very pretty, as someone said already. I did wonder about solid mounting the motor, but after thinking it over, that's not really going to be much easier than making it pivot.

Wish there was a five speed box i could have used to replace the two speed. Don´t think I didn´t look for one.

Yeah cruiser bicycles are sold at Walmart here and grocery stores lol. It’s totally an American perspective. They are mentally linked with cheap garbage here.

I think as well USA moped folks are 95% more biased towards smaller wheels than larger. If an American was rebuilding this they’d put 18’s on it if they could find em, or lace different size rim to a good quality moped hub.

So have you thought of not swiveling the motor rather than putting it on sliders? if the motor slid, you could forgo a ball joint in the ex and have the ex mounted to the sliders would be really cool looking as it shifted

James De Ath /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

>

> So have you thought of not swiveling the motor rather than putting it on

> sliders? if the motor slid, you could forgo a ball joint in the ex and

> have the ex mounted to the sliders would be really cool looking as it

> shifted

Now that is an excellent idea! I´m going to give that some thought. Wonder what I could use for sliders/rollers?

If I fitted 18" wheels, I don´t think they´d reach the ground. The bottom of the frame (and the saddle) is pretty low already.

Maybe, you’d have to test it. I’ve switched to smaller wheels and even though the bike feels a little more slammed, it rarely hits the ground.

As far as the sliders, you could use linear bearings with a rod setup, or possible heavy duty drawer slides, or do moby parallelogram style (look it up)

Boy that thing looked so cool stock its ashame such an old all original ped is no longer with us. But I'm sure when your done it will look just as badass. Its your ped man dont let other people's opinions stop you. But maybe next time i wouldn't do it to such a complete classic but that's just me

James De Ath /

> Michael Gamba Wrote:

> Boy that thing looked so cool stock its ashame such an old all original

> ped is no longer with us. But I'm sure when your done it will look just

> as badass. Its your ped man dont let other people's opinions stop you.

> But maybe next time i wouldn't do it to such a complete classic but

> that's just me

It may have looked complete, but rest assured, it was so rough, almost none of it was useable. There are zero new spare parts and restored or original ones are neither worth much or particularly rare.

I´ve been making some progress. I made a brass bushed pivot for the motor that I´ve bolted to the bottom of the frame, so i can use a variateur. I had some motor plates cut. I got an aluminium kick box and I marinated the fuel tank in vinegar for two weeks to get the rust out of it. Amazingly, it didn´t leak. I had had the motor sitting quite high, trying to get the exhaust to clear and to allow the motor to pivot, but it was looking more like a motorised bike conversion, which was no good, so I lowered it back down. It now looks much more original and I can also use the original chainguard too. However - and I´m sure this will please some folks here - I´ll now have to cut the downtube as the exhaust wants to pass straight through it. I´ll need to make a tubular loop to go around either side of it. I hoped I could avoid it, but I can´t.

The motor is now sitting lower and further forwards than in these pics. (edited)

20210327_170821.jpg
20210318_220754.jpg

James De Ath /

My bike was just junk. This is your authentic, running, patina version for only 1100 euros...

www.leboncoin.fr/vi/1956574279.htm#xtor=ES-3999-[MYSRCH]

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account