Trick clutch for a two shoe E50

Hello!

This is all an extension of the Metra 65 build which I posted here, and when my clutch went somebody said I should make a seperate topic for the clutch build...

So as said before this is the work I got myself into when I bent my two shoe clutch... Just revved the thing on its stand and the clutch locked... Pulled it apart and the pins on the plate were bent, and the plate just a little bit.

Good thing I know someone ( M.S. in Engineering) who has been dealing with the same problem on GoKart engines for years... He is willing to help me out.

Im really just a newbie, he is the brains of this.

Just took the clutch apart and modelled the plate (we will be using it) in Solidworks... Thats the progress so far :)

IMG_20210207_134648.jpg
IMG_20210212_144103.jpg
E50plata.jpg

Re: Trick clutch for a two shoe E50

This is cool but you can also just add a brace plate, lighten the shoes, and properly tune the spring tension with a fish scale to prevent the posts bending

Overpriced Parts /

I see you ruined your clutch by too many turns in and completely or almost compressing the springs not allowing for engagement,

At 3 turns in from flush with stiff kickstart springs (not those junky red ones) and synthetic motor oil my 2 shoe clutches last for years on hi power kits,

No need to reengineer a simple clutch, just get another clutch use the correct springs and don’t tighten them so much that the clutch cannot engage so somewhere around three turns in from flush max and put a brace on it if you’re worried about bending Posts

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I see you ruined your clutch by too many turns in and completely or

> almost compressing the springs not allowing for engagement,

>

> At 3 turns in from flush with stiff kickstart springs (not those junky

> red ones) and synthetic motor oil my 2 shoe clutches last for years on

> hi power kits,

>

> No need to reengineer a simple clutch, just get another clutch use the

> correct springs and don’t tighten them so much that the clutch cannot

> engage so somewhere around three turns in from flush max and put a brace

> on it if you’re worried about bending Posts

Thank you for this advice! Zes, I turned them in compeletely, because it felt like my clutch was grabbing way too low...

Nevermind, lets do something which hasnt been done before :)

Holy shit how did you even manage to turn those screws in that far? Homie you gotta read the wiki, or search the forum if you're working on stuff you haven't worked on before. 1 to 1 and a half turns past flush is like the place to start with clutch tuning. Not 8 turns in lol

Everyone makes mistakes. Now you know

I did the same thing. The wiki says turn all the way in then 2 full turns out is max, but at 3 turns out from max the springs won't grab at all. Fish scale ftw

Tweaker trash /

Guy wait second! Can we plz just see what he makes!

I’m kinda bummed by ur idea , it looks familiar

Good luck

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Make a batavus clutch and variator.

Let’s see what you come up with! Best trick is lighter clutch arms. Springs can be stiff but don’t turn the screws in that much. Get the arms around 50-60g and make a brace for the pins

Yea I did ~75g per arm and 20lb with blue springs (I think?) and it had a decent stall. Nothing crazy but good for a 45mph bike.

Made a post brace too just cause I was paranoid.

There are lots of cool two shoe clutches out there. Check these guys out, maybe some inspiration:

https://www.racingplanetusa.com/clutch-polini-maxi-speed-clutch-135mm-honda-piaggio-peugeot-p-26631-1.html#.YCrY4LdMGyU

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Make a batavus clutch and variator.

Slew coming in with the best suggestion of the thread as per usual.

Seriously make a good batavus clutch setup and you'll have a monopoly on the performance batavus market. It's hard to design a good dry clutch for a moped though

Than make one for garelli.

Not to thread jack but I have a Bat and a Garelli and I see threads on here quite often about finding good clutch options.

If we take the Bat M48, for example, what’s the obstacle in coming up with a solution?

I know there are guys on here that can design or maybe get creative reusing a good clutch from another model. I’m guessing it’s too expensive to fabricate / mass produce something like that? Maybe the end product would be too expensive?

Tweaker trash /

> E BinOH Wrote:

> Not to thread jack but I have a Bat and a Garelli and I see threads on

> here quite often about finding good clutch options.

>

> If we take the Bat M48, for example, what’s the obstacle in coming up

> with a solution?

>

> I know there are guys on here that can design or maybe get creative

> reusing a good clutch from another model. I’m guessing it’s too

> expensive to fabricate / mass produce something like that? Maybe the

> end product would be too expensive?

Omg I hate guys that high jack threads

Well it’s related to what the others were saying about garelli / bat clutches...but I could start a new thread. Back to the e50 trick setup!

Honestly by the time you're all done creating a new clutch for this e50 you'll have wound up spending 3x what you could have just paid for an aftermarket, superior clutch. Does your engineering buddy know about all the other options on the market already?

I'm excited to see what you come up with, fuck the haters, make some shit

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Sachs 505 would be in the list.

A tunable dry clutch you can get at a tractor supply pretty pricey tho and lots o tinkering.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account