This hopefully will help you wire your cheap aftermarket honda CDI's and should provide enough info to help you figure out whatever other CDI's you come up with. For the stock wiring see here: Honda PA Electrical
There are 5 wires from the CDI stator:
- Black - power out to CDI box
- Pink - timing pulse to CDI box
- Red - lights (high power, need regulator/rectifier)
- Brown -also lights, hook up either or both, brown puts out much less power
- Green - a 3rd output. Fairly weak. Really of no use but maybe you will find one. NOT a ground.
- black and red - power out to the CDI box
- blue and white - timing pulse to CDI box
- red - lights
- You don't need the other wires
Generic 5 pin CDI
4 or 5 pin CDI
- 1 - timing input, pink from the stator
- 2 - empty
- 3 - is power out to the HT ignition coil, usually black
- 4 - ground
- 5 - kill switch (grounds to kill engine)
- 6 - power input from the stator, black wire from the stator
You'll need to make sure that the HT coil, the CDI box are grounded and that there is a good electrical contact between the frame and the subframe.
On the hobbit you got rubber grommets at the front pivot connection between frame and subframe and also in the shocks, neither are conducting. This makes a grounding electrical contact between frame and subframe important.
The plug should match the 5 pin CDI pinout shown above. If you want to use the wire without the plug they are as follows
- yellow (from the CDI box) - power out to the HT coil, black wire to coil
- blue from box - timing in, connects to pink from the stator
- red from box - power in from the stator, black wire from the stator
- black from box - kill switch (ground to kill engine)
- green on box - ground
Check here for schematic of simplified wiring with 5 pin universal blue box
6 pin CDI
The above directions are for the 1977 cheap CDI, the Treats one has slightly different wiring as follows: this should be correct, please edit if not.
- Blue/Yellow - Timing pickup
- Black/Yellow - Power out to coil
- Green - Ground
- Black/White - Kill
- Black/Red - Power in from stator
The Yamaha Jog/Zuma CDI boxes can be found readily on ebay for pretty cheap and have a good 2stroke timing curve. It's timing works well with the stock hobbit stator as-aligned with the woodruff key.
- Red/Black - Power in (to black from stator)
- Red/White - timing pulse (to pink)
- Orange - ground
- Black - power out to coil (to black on coil)
- Black/White - to kill
- Schematic with points - colorized version
- 1981 Schematic with CDI, Colorized version Note: Purple is used for G/Y.
- Example hardwire diagram for CDI
- Another fun hardwire diagram for CDI without rectifier
|Honda PA50 Information|
|Main Article • Manuals • Model Info • Model Differences |
Carb/Fuel • Engine • Drivetrain • Wheels & Tires • Exhaust • Electrical • Body and Frame • PA50I/PA50M Performance • Troubleshooting • Parts • Tools