Jawa Motors is a Czech producer of motorcycles that also produced mopeds.
Founded in 1929 by Janecek, the company name is a combination of the first letters of the founder's name and the first two letters of their motorcycle product, the Wanderer.
Jawa made a variety of two-stroke mopeds and was one of the first companies to include electronic ignition on their mopeds. Unfortunately, this "Tranizmo" unit was prone to failure. Jawa mopeds now have a fairly poor reputation due to the difficulty of getting replacement parts and the high failure rate of the "Tranizmo" unit.
Babetta was a moped built in Czechoslovakia and marketed under the Jawa name in other countries. Originally the Babetta was conceived as lightweight moped to compete with the Solex moped, a brand which was popular during the 1960s. The first Babetta mopeds in 1970 featured very large 23-inch wheels, but these were soon swapped out in favor of smaller 16-inch wheels. The Babetta was notable for its electronic ignition — the first time a transistorized contact-less ignition had been used in a moped.
The original Babetta 206 was joined by a "new" model, the 207, in 1975. The difference between the two models is that the 207 featured full suspension front and rear, whereas the 206 had a rigid frame. In 1983 the original models were replaced by the new 210 model, which featured a new engine and a two speed transmission. 
- Jawa ignition testing - how to tell if your Thyristor is faulty
- Jawa Thyristor - No spark? Build your own Thyristor for fun and profit!
- Jawa Tuning - Want to go faster? Or perhaps dabble in the Dark Arts?
- Repairing a Jawa Petcock - Fix that leaky petcock!
- Moped Riders Association - Service manual for Jawa 210
- Jawa-Power - A great site that sells Jawa parts. It is available in English as well.
- JawaMoped - History and overview of Jawa, some good technical data and manuals, especially for the 210 models
- Jawa.nl - A Jawa community site complete with forum hosted in the Netherlands. There doesn't seem to be an English language version.