Moped Laws: United States
Laws for legal moped usage vary by state in America. You may be able to find information on your state's transportation website but the following are likely to be more useful as some states make it hard to find moped related information.
- A valid Class D (Operator) license is needed
- Moped must be 50cc or less
- Moped must be restricted to 25 m.p.h. and 1.5 braking hp.
- Mopeds are not titled, but must be registered
- A notarized bill of sale and MVD inspection is required for registration
- Registration is $5.00 plus $4.50 tax
- Motorized bicycle is defined as a vehicle having two or three wheels, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 C.C., and an automatic transmission which produces a maximum design speed of not more than thirty miles per hour on a flat surface.
- A valid driver's license or minor driver's license is required
- May not be operated on an interstate system.
- May be driven in bicycle lanes.
- Registration is required, with a fee of $5.00. It is valid for 3 years.
- A person riding a motorized bicycle shall not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto.
- No motorized bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.
- No person riding upon any motorized bicycle, coaster, roller skates, sled, or toy vehicle shall attach the same or himself or herself to any vehicle upon a roadway.
- Every person operating a motorized bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as close to the right side of the roadway as practicable.
- Persons riding motorized bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast.
- Motorized bicycles must be equipped with a headlight visible from at least 500 feet away.
- Motorized bicycles must be equipped with a horn audible from at least 100 feet away.
Taken mostly verbatim from the Colorado Revised Statutes.
- Class C(car)required on Driver’s License.
- Insurance is required.
- Annual registration fee is $9.00.
- A title is required for registration.
- Moped plate issued.
- No helmet or eye protection required for driver.
- Does not require inspection.
- Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
- Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
- Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
- Operable pedals required.
- Automatic transmission required.
- An electric motor-driven-cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery is defined as a moped also.
- A valid class 1 license is needed
- Moped must be 50cc or under
- Some form or eye protection must be worn
- Title, registration, insurance, and license plates are NOT required