Laws for legal moped usage vary by state in America. You may be able to find information on your state's transportation website but the following are likely to be more useful as some states make it hard to find moped related information.
- A valid Class D (Operator) license is needed
- Moped must be 50cc or less
- Moped must be restricted to 25 m.p.h. and 1.5 braking hp.
- Mopeds are not titled, but must be registered
- A notarized bill of sale and MVD inspection is required for registration
- Registration is $5.00 plus $4.50 tax
- Class C(car)required on Driver’s License.
- Insurance is required.
- Annual registration fee is $9.00.
- A title is required for registration.
- Moped plate issued.
- No helmet or eye protection required for driver.
- Does not require inspection.
- Design speed may not be more than 25 miles per hour.
- Engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
- Engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower rating.
- Operable pedals required.
- Automatic transmission required.
- An electric motor-driven-cycle equipped with operable pedals and powered by an electric battery is defined as a moped also.
- A valid class 1 license is needed
- Moped must be 50cc or under
- Some form or eye protection must be worn
- Title, registration, insurance, and license plates are NOT required