|Derbi||Variant||Piston Port||30||5||4.5||3||4.5||5||Overal awesome. #1 moped, only downfall is non-reed motor|
|Honda||PA50 I||49cc||18-20 MPH||4||4||4||2||3||Heavily Restricted Engine (see the PA50I performance article)|
|Kamasura||50||GD||35 MPH||2.5||4||2||1.5||2||Engine is a Sachs clone, plastic and chrome is very poor|
|Motobecane||50v A||AV50||30-33 MPH||4.5||2.5||4||4||5||Upgrades to ignition and carburetor can greatly increase reliability|
|Puch||Maxi||e50||25-30||5||4.5||5||5||3.5||Simple and easy to modify and make faster.|
|Puch||Magnum xk||e50||25-30||5||4.5||5||5||5||This version did not have hydraulic forks and only came in red|
|Sachs||G3||505/1a||28-30 MPH||4||4||3.5||2.5||4||Also sold under the Eagle brand as the Eagle III|
|Suzuki||FA50||49cc||25-30||3||4||3||2||3||No pedals, foot pegs prone to breakage|
|Batavus||Starflight VA||48cc||20-30||3.5||4||2.5||1.25||4||Easy to work on, almost zero performance parts|
|Vespa||Ciao||Vespa||25-30||4||4.5||4||3.5||4||Stock cases limited by 13mm carb, still fairly easy to hit 50mph with stock cases.|
*ATS= Average Top Speed, this applies to stock bikes only
Here is a simple rating system for various mopeds. The individual attributes of the specific mopeds are rated on a scale of 1-5 and are intended as follows:
- Overall Quality- The materials and craftsmanship, 5 being a work of art, 1 being 6th grade metal shop. Note that this is much different from reliability.
- Reliability- 5 runs consistently despite abuse and neglect, 1 rarely can be made to run
- Parts availability- 5 great dealer support, 4 some dealer support, 3 eBay, 2 over seas part ordering, 1 fabricate your own
- Tuneability- Basically potential for tuning and performance parts, 5 wide variety of performance upgrades available, 1 not tunable
- Overall Riding Experience- this is less than objective but very relevant, 5 Pure Joy; you just can't stop smiling , 1 Gritting teeth; this bike will be back on Craigslist shortly.
For those who edit this: This is not intended as a forum for bragging up your bike or bashing others, try to keep it as objective as possible, also try to stick with rating bikes with which you have experience. If a moped has a specific defect or notable feature be sure to mention it in "notes"
There are blanks at the bottom of the table so you can simply type over the words, feel free to cut and paste more blanks.