Motobecane variator disassembly
Here it is the best way I know of to crack open a varaitor without dealer tools:
reasons to crack a variator
-to grease the balls
--Elldawg99 22:37, 11 December 2007 (EST)
- you can just drill a couple screws into your workbench to line up with these holes here:
- Then use some heat to loosen up the nut on the back plate and break it free with a long wrench (or use a spare set of handlebars for a lever).
- Once you break the nut free, use some big channel lock pliers to break free the back plate.
- also, I noticed that these screws here:
Had been locked in place with little dabs of weld. I had to clear out the slots with a flathead screwdriver and some firm but gentle hammer taps.
- I like this way better because there is much less chance of warping the variator with the vise.