Yup, I did. I was bored, and this seemed like a much better idea than cleaning my room. Besides, I don't know how much internet access I'm going to have after July, so I figured I should start now. I fixed/changed everything I knew how and could think of/find, but I'm sure there's still plenty left for you to do. Mycider 19:38, 11 June 2008 (EDT)
Now that I think about it... If you want a list of things that (in my opinion) still need help, I bet I could make one. Mycider 03:03, 12 June 2008 (EDT)
Yeah, I'm going to Costa Rica -- July 10 through December 15ish. I'm sure I'll have some internet access, but I doubt I'll be spending 24/7 online like I do now. 95% of the stuff I did was just categorizing articles and going nuts with links. I tried to clarify the purpose of any ambiguous categories so that people will (hopefully) be able to appropriately categorize anything they write. The categorizing business all makes sense to me because I put a lot of the articles in categories, but I'd like some feedback on it to find out if it makes sense to other people too. Anyway, here's my list:
On "Moped routes" -- until a lot more people submit routes, I think it's easier to see what routes there are if they aren't categorized by region. I was going to get rid of the "West Coast routes" category, but the person still seems to be working on the only article associated with that category, and I didn't want to throw them off. Or, maybe a better solution is to categorize them by regions and link the regional categories to the "Routes" category. This will make all the regions subcategories, and each individual route article can also be linked by itself to the general "Routes" category. If the latter seems like a better idea, "Midwest routes" should become a new category with links to the appropriate articles, and the individual article "Midwest Routes" needs to be deleted. (It already has nothing in it.)
- I went ahead and did this. - Linda
“Sachs wiring diagrams” – maybe it’s just my computer, but I can’t make this link into a category.
- Done - Mike
- “K&N Filters For Dummies” – maybe this is just my computer too, but it links directly to the “K” page, and as far as I can tell, it’s not a redirect or anything.
- "Moped & Scooter strokes" -- this leads directly to the "Moped" page, but the "Moped and scooter strokes" page actually has stuff on it. What's up with that?
- "Mounting the 15/15 Sha Dellorto on the Motobecane /50L/50V" -- this is exactly the same page (as far as I can tell) as the page "Mounting the 15/15 Sha Dellorto with a shorty intake on the Motobecane /50L/50V." I feel like the first page should redirect to the second (since the second is linkified a bit more, I think) but I feel bad deleting all that stuff on one page even if it is all the same.
- Pages that need to be deleted: I figured out a lot of stuff, but I could not figure out how to delete pages that already exist. Logic tells me that there has to be SOME way to delete pages because, as on any internet site, there will be spam and offensive material that does not deserve to exist. For the most part, I'm willing to leave questionable things, but I think the following articles need to go: Farts, K, Blackball, Mitten, Performance (this information already exists on the performance tuning page), Team Mayhem (dunno about this one… read and decide for yourself), Winter, Moped Stereo (there’s no real info there and I’m not sure anyone is going to add anything seeing as how that’s a little specialized, but you can decide on that one too) Midwest Routes (delete individual article and make into a category instead)
- I figured out why I couldn't delete anything. Looks like either Dan or Simon needs to be e-mailed to delete those.
There are a ton of pages about Motobecane, Honda Hobbits, and quite a few about Vespas. I think each of these brands needs their own category. (Currently, Puch is the only brand with its own category). However, I get the impression that people access these pages fairly regularly. If that's the case, they're probably used to seeing them where they are. I don't want people to freak out if the article they're used to seeing in one place gets moved to a different place, even if (in my opinion) the new place makes more sense than the old one. This is especially pertinent on the Hobbit pages because someone has obviously put a lot of work into organizing them -- those might not need their own category because they're already so well organized. Finally, I would also be afraid that people would want a category for EVERY brand, which doesn't really make sense unless there are quite a few articles already written that pertain to that brand. So ... yeah ... I don't know if that needs to be "fixed" or not. I came up with the balls to rearrange the Motobecane and Vespa stuff into categories, so I will work on that. I still don't have the balls to rearrange the Honda stuff though.
- I put the Motobecane and Vespa stuff in categories. Upon further consideration, I don't think the Honda stuff needs a category. It's really good the way it is, and categorizing it wouldn't make it any better (actually, it would probably make it worse).
If all these brands do get their own categories, then the categories should link directly to the main page. The "Puch" category should also link there -- currently the "Puch tuning" page (which is part of the Puch category) links to the main page. I think that's confusing, but again, I don't want to be responsible for freaking people out when their "Puch tuning" article is no longer linked directly to the main page.
- This is done.
- I also have a page-long list of articles that I think need to be added to the wiki. Most of them are listed under the "wanted pages" page, but I pulled out the ones that I thought were most important. I'm not comfortable writing most of the articles, and there are only so many things that I can copy from wikipedia. There are also a bunch more articles that need some MAJOR fleshing-out, and my next plan is to go through and identify (and perhaps stubify?) those pages. I was considering making a post listing the most-needed articles and elaborations, but I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to do that.
- Most existing articles that I think need elaboration have been stubified, but now I've got a page and a half of articles that need to be added to the wiki. Sigh.
- I think the "Shop Links" needs to be divided up somehow, like into internet retailers and local retailers, or some other way that makes it easier to find someone who sells what you're looking for. I'm just not familiar with 2/3 of those shops, so I doubt I would know how to divvy them up.
On the help page, on the images part, there are instructions on how to make a frame around an image (I'm assuming you either added those instructions or made them way better than what they were.) It's missing a "|" though. Right now it says that you can make a frame by typing [[Image.jpgframe|Caption text]], but that doesn't work. I clicked on edit to see how that really works and it looks like it's supposed to be [[Image.jpg|frame|Caption text]] -- with the "|" after .jpg.
- I fixed this, but then I tried to get fancy with it. That was a bad idea, and I'm not touching the help page ever again. Can you add something about making thumbnails? Like where instead of putting |frame| you put |thumb| and it make a thumbnail of the image?
- The category "Parts" (not to be confused with the category "Moped parts") is kind of a clusterfuck. There is some sort of table there that I don't really understand, and I bet most of that info could be placed or linked somewhere else more appropriate ... I just don't know how or where. Also, it might help alleviate confusion to re-name that category as "Brand name parts" or something else similar and easy to type to help make an obvious distinction from the generic "Moped parts" category.
There ya go. Now it's a super duper intensely comprehensive and formatted list. :P
Sorry about all the edits I keep making to this list. I bet you've got like 8 e-mails in your inbox telling you that your page has been changed (again). Don't worry, though -- I'm sure some day I'll run out of things I want to fix. Mycider 00:28, 18 June 2008 (EDT)