Intake manifold

From Moped Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Intake can refer to either:

  1. the port that allows fuel/air mixture into the cylinder (usually called the intake port), or
  2. the adapter that goes between the carburetor and the intake port on the cylinder (usually called the intake manifold)

In case-inducted engines, the intake contains reed valves and opens into the crankcase rather than the intake port.

The use of term "Manifold" is not exactly appropriate in the case of a single cylinder engine as it only delivers fuel/air mixture from a single point to a single point. Manifold would imply that the mixture is delivered to multiple points. However as the term is used more widely (and appropriately) to describe the same component in an automotive application it is easier to use the term in a single cylinder application due to its familiarity