The Moped BBQ is an event that used to be held each Memorial Day in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Sponsored by the Decepticons, it is known for its No-Rules Race and for being some of the largest moped rallies held in the United States.
- 1 History
- 2 BBQ 1/2
- 3 BBQ 3/4
- 4 BBQ 5
- 5 BBQ 6
- 6 BBQ 7
- 7 BBQ 8
- 8 BBQ 9
- 9 BBQ 10
- 10 BBQ 11
- 11 BBQ 12
- 12 BBQ 13: Bad Luck for Some
- 13 BBQ 14: Mopedaggedon
- 14 BBQ 15: You Had to Be in Town
- 15 Ghost Ride 6 / BBQ16 AKA Ghosticon
- 16 BBQ 17
- 17 Salute Your Ports
- 18 Salute Your Ports 2 - Midwasted
- 19 Other Info
- 20 Events
Prior to BBQ 10 in 2003, Moped BBQ events were held twice yearly in Kalamazoo, on Memorial Day and Labor Day. The main BBQ event has been held in a number of locations in the past, including Moped Manor, The Space, and 1977 Mopeds.
BBQ 13: Bad Luck for Some
BBQ 14: Mopedaggedon
May 2009. Paul Sizer did T-shirt design.
BBQ 15: You Had to Be in Town
May 2010. Jordan Hollerbach designed the T-shirt.
Ghost Ride 6 / BBQ16 AKA Ghosticon
October 2012. No shirts. Lots of rain, most of the rally was in Quarterkick.
Salute Your Ports
August 2013 Shared rally with GR, & ML.
Salute Your Ports 2 - Midwasted
August 2014 Shared rally with GR, & ML.
In 2000, the Kalamazoo Gazette wrote an article about the Moped BBQ event entitled "'Swarm and Destroy' is Motto of Moped Army".
Some events held in the past have included:
- The No-Rules Race. The format and length changed throughout the years.
- Circa BBQ 6, members showed having reached each checkpoint by gathering fliers, and the first to return to the starting point with all the fliers won.
- By BBQ 10, each checkpoint had fewer fliers, resulting in an elimination-style race. Helmets were required.
- The race at BBQ 13 was held in the student ghetto, in a small circle of city blocks, which resulted in unforeseen congestion and moped pile-ups.
- Mo-lympics, a series of events held for several years consecutively at Spring Valley Park. Events included carburetor rebuilds, Solex Toss, slow race, pedal race, and trick riding.
- The BBQ itself, held on Memorial Day. In earlier days this was held at Moped Manor; in later years adjacent to 1977 Mopeds.
- Occasionally the BBQ rally has ended unofficially with rides to the beach at South Haven.